Thursday, February 16, 2012

Good Bye Daddy Frank

The day after his 74th Birthday, the day after my latest post, my step-father passed away suddenly.
He was out in the beautiful Arizona sunshine, playing a round of golf, when his heart stopped.
He was gone in an instant, even after all the heroic life saving attempts from the other golfers, golf staff and skilled paramedics.  


Gone.  Doing what he loved doing, playing golf and spending the morning basking in the sunshine. Gone before I could tell him how much I still loved him.
Gone before my brother could come out for a visit.




The loss of our last living parent, just shy of the nine year anniversary of our mother's death, has brought our family together once again.

He was my step father, not my biological father, but the only man I ever knew as my Daddy.  I adored him and though of him as Ten Feet Tall and Bullet Proof in his police uniform. I was so proud of his service to his country and his life long patriotism. His love for his children, for his dogs, for his friends. He always had a story or a joke to share. He had a twinkle in his brown eyes that is mirrored in my little sisters eyes and those of her youngest daughter Kimberlee. 


A light went out in our family, but the memories of him will continue to shine on in our lives forever.

Life is precious and so fleeting.

Hug your family...kiss them and tell them how much you love them.


Audra

4 comments:

Mimi said...

HI AUDRA,
I am So very sad for your loss, the only thing good in the story is he did pass away doing what he loved to do.....but I know you want him back, to hold, to hug and to say those final words we all want....MY HEART goes out to you.
big hugs,
jamie

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Oh I'm so sorry Audra-- Hugs from me and prayers to your family.

Marigene said...

It is so hard losing your last parent, especially so unexpectedly. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Audra.

There is one more star up in the sky tonight.
Even though it is far away,
its brightness and warmth still reach us here
to make the night a little less dark.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your dad. So happy that you're blogging again.