Friday, March 11, 2011

Sweet Surprise Gift From A Sweet Southern Friend

I have the greatest friend name Meg...

We "met" when I found her first blog a few years ago and started following it.  We would email each other and I told her that I was starting a blog as well and she became my first follower.

I didn't even have any posts yet and she followed me!

I think I knew we would be forever friends from that moment on.

I have never met Meg but we have mailed, emailed, and texted.  
We have spent hours on the phone just chatting like long lost friends.

Don't you love the blogging community?  
How we can live thousands of miles away and start talking like we've known each other for life?

Meg blogs over at How To Eat Well On A Budget...she knows what she is talking about.  
She has fed her family and her son's friends and countless others
on a shoestring budget 
and does it with a joyful heart.
She is the nicest, most down to earth, lovely lady 
and I am blessed to call her friend.

She asked me if I missed any Southern things here in Arizona.  
Then she sent me this lovely care package all the way from North Carolina.


Duke's Mayonnaise! 
Is there anything more delicious in Potato Salad or on a sandwich? 
Fly Guy is really spoiled now, he says he doesn't know if he can go back to Best Foods.

My BIL is from Eastern Texas and was thrilled to see

JohnBoy and Billy's Grillin' Sauce

 



He told me they use it on EVERYTHING...and I have taken him at his word, 
I put it on pork chops, bbq chicken and I even put a little in our hamburgers last night. 
This stuff is addicting!

Then there were these lovely plaques from Southern Living at Home.
 I am going to hang them in my bathroom with some metal roof tins
I think...


and this cook book
Hometown Heroes is a cook book that Meg and others collaborated on for a scholorship program to honor fallen soldier SPC Christopher Barton.  I was honored that Meg sent this to me, as she spent months gathering, sorting, and typing the recipes to send to the publisher.  This cook book is a tribute to Chris and all of the other soldiers serving and have served.  As Meg puts it "sharing a meal together with family is one of the simplest things a soldier misses when they are away."

This package was a much needed lift to a rough week and I was beyond touched at her gesture.  She is a true friend for life and I hope you all will head over to her blog 
or email her if you are interested in purchasing one of the Hometown Heroes cook books.

À tout à l'heure !
Audra


6 comments:

Beth said...

Meg sounds like a super duper friend! I'm going to follow her blog too. ;)

Meg Austin Haskins said...

OMG! I am so behind on my blog b/c of the cookbook! lol---Now the pressure is on! I am trying to get caught up.
Thank you Audra, you are such a Sweet Heart, & I mean that as an adjective & a noun!
Hugs!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a wonderful friend! I love how we can connect in blogland and met someone that really enriches our life.

Shay said...

Surprises like this are the best kind! How lovely for you.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Bloggy friends are sweet indeed!

I am contacting everyone as a reminder and an inquiry to see if they're attending the AZ blogger's luncheon on March 26th as I have to call the tea room on in the next few days with a head count.

Details are on the Monday (3-14) post of my blog.

If you are attending please leave a comment on that post.

Thank you and be blessed!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ said...

Audra, what a wonderful, generous friend! You are so right about the blogging world!
Love,
Tracey
x0x