Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Frugal Missus and The Teenager Make Pizza

Yep, you read that right.  I finally jumped on the bandwagon with all those other spectacular moms and wives who make their own pizza.

No stinkin' card board pizza for my family...(uh, though I do like California Pizza Kitchens Margherita pizza... oh and the bbq chicken is divine as well...sssh) or some delivery pizza.  Nope, I caved into those blue eyes of the teenager and said YES! to making home made pizza.

Now for those of you that have tried this at home and know that it's not as hard as I make it out to be...let me tell you that I am more an experimental cook...you know, I don't follow a receipe but use it more as a suggestion?  

With a wee bit of trepidation, we set off to make some pizza's to rival Papa John's!  (their Italian Meat Special...to die for!)

Step 1: Make or Purchase Pizza Dough. 
We purchased from Fresh and Easy on mark down for .75 each.  One wheat and two traditional white doughs.


Step 2: Roll dough out into circle about 1/3 of inch thick 

Step 3: Place on pizza sheet because you don't have a pizza stone...(I must find one!)

Step 4: Sauce the pizza dough.  Take care not to over sauce your dough like I did. 
We purchased the sauce from our grocery store deli.  They have it in plastic tubs for $1.99.  I bought two which was more than enough for three pizzas.

Step 5:  Put some cheese on it.  We purchased Pizza cheese on sale for $1.00.  I bought two but only used one for all three pizzas.

Step 6: Pile on the toppings of your choice.  In this picture, I am touching anchovies for Fly Guy's pizza.  He bought filleted anchovies, no way could I deal with whole fishies.

I do it out of love man...I do it out of love.

Step 7: Make The Teenagers more mom friendly pizza, Pepperoni only!

Step 8: Forget to take a picture of your pizza you made, half peperoni and half veggie pizza.
Uh...No.  I don't do anchovy.

Step 9: Pop in the oven for 17 to 20 minutes.

Avoid Step 10: Burn your arm like crazy.

Step 11:  Take pictures of baked pizza, hot out of the oven, then accidentally delete it from camera.
Cuz...I'm good like that.

Then sit down and enjoy your home made pizza and wait for the out pouring of love from appreciative husband and kiddos.  


It was delicious, as tasty as take out and for three pizza's I spent about $6.00 for each pizza.
The best thing?
That I spent that time with my Teenager, laughing, learning and loving.


oh...one last thing...

Look what I found last weekend at a garage sale.
a pizza cook book!  I can see lots more home made pizza in our future.

Bon Appetite....

Audra

7 comments:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Dude, you burned your arm??? OUCH!

ANCHOVIES? I love me a pizza, and everything on it, BUT, anchovies?? Did you eat them? ;)

So, was it better than a delivery pizza?

Audra said...

Mandi...Anchovies are not in my diet. Never, ever, ever. I can not describe the utter contempt I feel for this little fishies. Only love for my husband made me put them on his pizza.

He loved it.

Yes, definitely as tasty as delivery and more fun to boot!

Hugs~

decorator to the stars said...

OH AUDRA, SAY IT ISN'T SO, YOU HAD ME AT PIZZA......BUT ANCHOVIES (SCUNGILI).....I'M ITALIAN & MAKE PIZZA OFTEN......BUT REALLY, ANCHOVIES......IT MUST BE LOVE LOL
GIO

Audra said...

I know. I love that man I do, but I refuse to eat Scungili...but I did put it on a perfectly great pizza just for him.

Don't hate me...I just did it out of love.

:)

Mimi said...

GOOD 4 YOU!!
MY hat and apron are Off to you!!!
taht home made pizza looks so yummy!!!
And not that hard to do, I just might give it a try!!
How wonderful to do this together!!
IS she a student UP North still???Or is this a different daughter???
Have a Blessed week
hugs,
jamie

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

WOW... that looks AMAZING. You have inspired me to make pizza next week. The kids will love it!

Mary said...

Audra, it's a lovely recipe and the pizzas looks wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog and I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I really am glad I did that. You've created a wonderful spot for your readers to visit and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary