Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Frugal Grocery Feburary

This month I am joining forces with Quilting in my Pyjamas in the Freezer/Pantry Challenge.
Although my stock pile is not nearly as impressive as hers, I have loads of frozen meat and decided to use it up before purchasing any more.
 (these pictures taken by The Teenager...who wants you to know I don't clean out the freezer as often as I should!)

(Did I mention that we are going to get a new refrigerator for our anniversary...?  This one is as old as College Diva!)

It had been a while since I saw the bottom of my deep freeze...
I found a trout that Fly Guy had caught over a year ago!
(Scary...I know.  What can I say...defrosting as I type)

The plan is to  purchase fresh vegetables, fruit, dairy and the most necessary of items.
Uh, can we say painful?   I might cry when I see great deals passing me by.

My pantry has a nice amount of sauces, pasta, rice and beans. I am going to finally make good on my promise to introduce more variety into our meals…I love all types of food, however when meal planning I tend to get stuck in a rut. 


Can anyone relate? Good, because I feel like we have spaghetti every week when I know we don’t really…although I could eat it every week because I love.it.that.much.

Anywhoo…my point being that I am going to crunch my already crunched food budget and see how creative I can get without my family leaving in protest.

This means no little stops at the store to pick up this or that to make a dish. If I don’t have it on hand then I will improvise. Again…I may have a riot in the kitchen, so don’t say I didn’t warn you.

I also won’t be posting my menu ahead of time because I am not great at following menus. I've tried but ail miserably each time. I might for grins put what I think I might make that week then post at the end of the week what I actually made. It might humor you

Since we don’t dine out often, I estimate I will be making 26 dinners. Exceptions will be for a dinner out with a friend and Fly Guy’s birthday celebration dinner. (Sushi)

I have on hand,

Two spiral cut hams…

One 9 lb Turkey

9 lbs ground sirloin

1 lb bacon

3 lbs pork chops

3 lb pork roast

4 lbs pork ribs

4 packages of tilapia fillets

12 lbs chicken breast

3.5 lbs stew meat

4 lb beef roast

2 lbs Andouille sausage

1 package Italian Sausage

1 package of beef cocktail sausages



I have plenty for the month as well as using up items that keep getting ignored…overlooked.

I will be instituting our Meatless Mondays, which sometimes get pushed to Meatless Wednesdays…Thursdays or something. 

I plan to cut my weekly grocery expense to $40.00 a week, down from the $75.00
I usually spend.

Wish me luck and come back to visit for more stories from the Adventures of The Frugal Missus.

Audra

9 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Sounds like a great challenge for yourself! I have been trying to plan menus more and also to try some new recipes each week. I think I'm adding meatless Mondays and got from there.

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Good luck! We are always in a menu rut over here, too. Sigh. I do love spaghetti that much, too. :)

Shay said...

Audra,
you know how we have the same dining table? We have the same kitchen colours too. My walls are that colour and my trims are white. Spooky!

I got such a kick out of seeing your frozen vegetables. How come American vegetables look so much better than Australian packets?

I'm so looking forward to seeing how you do. You know my freezers will never run out. I have that much stuff.You can come here for tea if you want!

Rhonda said...

I am sure you can do it.
and I also am in a cooking rut - it seems like we have spaghetti, pizza, chicken fried steak and tacos every week. not really, but it sure seems like it,

Carol said...

Hi Audra,
I'm new to your blog. I think you will meet your goal. Looks like you have plenty of items to fill in all the gaps and you have a great variety of meat. I look forward to more posts.

Aubrey said...

Your comments made my day~ I know I'm late in responding...been taking care of lil sick kids lately. So happy to see you back in blogland! ((hugs)) Aubrey

Carol said...

Hi Audra,
Here is the link for the Ethiopian Sloppy Joes.
http://youvegottotastethis.myrecipes.com/taste_this/2010/12/ethiopian-sloppy-joes.html
Thanks for the follow and for stopping by to visit me.
Blessings

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Hi Audra,

I wanted to let you know that I am currently organizing a Blogger's tea for March 26th. All of the details are on my current blog post.

Please feel free to grab the button to help spread the word.

It should be a very fun event and I hope that you can make it.

Marigene said...

Audra, good luck on your adventure on clearing out your freezer and pantry. I keep telling myself I really, really need to use everything up in the freezers and pantry before putting one more thing in either...so far it hasn't worked to well! I wonder what I would find buried in the depths...scary thought! I probably have enough to live off for at least 6 month...

I think it would be interesting if you did post a menu at the beginning of the week, then at the end of the week post what you actually had for meals...see how close you came to the original menu.