Thursday, February 3, 2011

Frugal Fix...Water Logged Cell Phone

The Teenagers Cell Phone.

His link to the outside world, or so he says.

Dropped it in a bath tub half full of water...ooops
(Getting ready to bathe the cats)

Hollers "I NEED RICE".

Rice...???

Yes, Rice.

Did you know you could put your drowned cell phone in rice and it will suck the water out.


It is a desiccant meaning *a substance that promotes drying* 

Did you know that? 

Me neither...

Two days later.


Voila!

Turns out you can put your phone, sim card and battery in a bowl of rice for 24 to 48 hours and the rice will draw out the water.

If  phone was in water for more than a couple of minutes, it can take up to six days to draw out the water.

Um...Okay...I don't have six days to be with out phone, so I would get a replacement.

But two days...saving a couple hundred dollars...Uh, Heck to the Yes!

Another frugal tip from the always adventurous...

Frugal Missus.

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

that is a good tip. At my old job, my 4 much younger than me coworkers ALL dropped their phones in the work toilet, at different times. Really.

Shay said...

Writing this one down because I'm sure I'll need to do a phone rescue at some point!

Suzanne with Laughing Wallet said...

That's genius. I'm going to share this with my mister, because I, no doubt, will be in a panic if I drop mine in water, and will just shout, "You're supposed to do something! I read it in a blog!" But I won't remember what. He will remember and save us hundreds of dollars. Thank you for sharing!

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

I have heard of this...another tip I heard was to use the silicone packages that come in shoes...I thought Oh yeah....Have a great day:)

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

If my 16 year old daughter was without a phone for 6 days I'm sure she'd never make the mistake of dropping it in a tub of water again. Great suggestion just in case!

Kathryn said...

Such a good trick :) It's almost like magic! Teens and their phones!!!

Mary said...

This is really a good tip to have on hand. I'm new to your blog and have spent some time poking around your earlier entries. I really like the information you share here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Lady Collum said...

Who knew?? Thanks for the tip! :-)