Monday, October 25, 2010

Frugal Missus is on the move....

Okay...I know it has been a while since my last post.  I have been caught up in the moving process.  Trying to sort through mountains of collections, stuff from my past, stuff that Fly Guy has held on to for YEARS...(man that guy is almost hoarder status) tossing, donating,selling and giving away loads of treasured and loved items.  Well, it was hard and sometimes a bit painful to let go of things I had found and displayed for years.  


The realization hit me that I wanted a stream lined, less cluttered and frou-frou home.  I have been collecting items for my nest for so long that I amassed a serious amount of stuff.  The thing about stuff is, it has a way of bogging you down.  "Want to go see a movie?" Me: "No, I am sorry, I have to dust my tchotchkes".   Maybe not that extreme but you know what I mean.    College Diva, who after years of dorm living has strategically pared down her items to what she absolutely needs.  Just shy of minimalism, her style reflects her personality without causing her stress.  Her philosophy "How much am I willing to spend on this item, how much will it cost me?".  She is not talking about cash money, but time and effort that goes into maintaining items.  That hit home with me as I often felt I was being owned by my stuff.


With that being said, I have been getting rid of, packing, looking for a new home and trying not to get more grey hair.  After three months of planning and thinking I was ready for this move...I find myself still feeling rushed and frantic.  Is there a such a thing as too coordinated?  


Today we will be getting the keys to our new home and the adventure begins.  Only three miles up the road but in a new "town" , this move allowed us to keep The Reluctant Teenager in his school and our drive to our jobs is the same.  Thrilled the weather is cooler now, as just a week ago it was still summer weather.  Unbearable when you are trying to move.


It may take me a few days or weeks to get back to blogging but just know I miss all of you and can't wait to show you my new place and the blank palate for decorating.

A Tout Alors!

Audra

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

I've moved 13 times...and it doesn't get any easier that's for sure...I feel for you! I can't wait to see photos of your new home!! That's exciting..I love moving into new places and putting my own touch in it...I don't think I've ever decorated the same...it's always different or different colors! :)

Mimi said...

Congratulations on getting a new home, Audra! Hope you will be showing off your new digs soon. Glad that your son will be able to finish school instead of having to start in a new one...now that the school year has started. I will be clearing out "stuff" once I get back home...this, after helping my siblings rid my mother's home of lots of little "stuff" she no long needs or wants...I just can't leave it for my kids to do...it is too big a job that I can be done now instead of later!

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Congratulations on your new home. I think moving while stressful is very exciting. A new start and exciting new things to discover.

I hope you settle quickly - I really miss your newsy posts.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy settling in and finding a new home for all your treasures.

Mandi said...

Cannot wait to see your new place! Yippee for a new casa!

P.s., may I borrow "No I am sorry I have to dust my tchotchkes" ? Awesomest phrase I've heard in a long time.

Kristi said...

I can SOOOOOO sympathize with you on this!!! We are moving and I have been cleaning out, donating, selling, YOU NAME IT!! Getting this house ready to sell has been very stressful! Hopefully soon I will be ready! And can't wait to see your new place! Good luck :)
Kristi