Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Home Town Nostalgia...

Showing some home town pride and love for Cottonwood and some of the places of my youth.  All in all this place was a great place to grow up, even if I didn't know it then.  I am fortunate to be from a town that is in close proximity to five major tourist towns. Prescott, Jerome, Camp Verde, Sedona and Flagstaff.  You can drive to Flagstaff or Prescott in about 45 minutes and only 20 minutes to Sedona or Camp Verde.  

Here is my grade school. The description I borrowed from the Clemenceau Heritage Museum website.  I attended 5 and 6th grades in this building.  Full of wood floors, giant globe lights and crown molding to die for.  I will take the tour one day to get some inside pictures of this gorgeous school/museum.
 The flag pole was constructed later after I had moved on to Junior High School on the same campus but a much newer building. 

Mingus Union High School home of the Marauders.  Front of the school.  True story...we had a huge concrete Marauder Head in the front of the school for nearly 25 years until they tried to move him to another location when the expanded the offices and decapitated him.  Tears were shed people, tears were shed.
School has had a face lift getting rid of the Dijon mustard yellow paint with brown trim.  Ah if those mustard colored walls could talk...
New cafeteria walk up window.  This cool feature was not there when i went to school.  No..we had a line and hot lunches in side the building peeps.

Next up a short jaunt up the hill to Jerome to the sliding jail. Another one of my most favorite places to hang out and soak in some of the ambiance from this Ghost Town.
The jail is slipping down the hill due to land erosion and explosions in the mines, the jail slid down the hill, across the road and came to rest down the slope on the other side or the road.  I have one of the original finials from the fence around the jail.

I hope you've enjoyed the tour..I will be showing you more of my favorite places in other posts.

A Tout Alors!

Audra

4 comments:

Donetta said...

What fun to journey back in time. Does it not just feel like yesterday?

Aubrey said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing...I'll have to do that when I journey back home this fall!
Hope you enjoy your weekend~ Aubrey

Mimi said...

HI!!!
Being an AZ girl you know I LOVE this!!!I spent a little time in Cottonwood growing up, mY Great Aunt and uncle lived there, adn so they were childless and would take 1 or 2 of us at a time for a week!!!Once they took 8 or more of us, and never did they do it again, although my cousins and I put on quite the rock concert for them with our broom guitars and our terrible rendition of the Beatles or the LOCOMOTION is the one I really recall!!
But I also love ALl those cities you mentioned --YOU KNOW I DO!!!
What kind of animal is the mascot of your high school?????
Hugs,
jamie

Leslie @ goodbye, house! HELLO, HOME! said...

Love learning about where you live! What an interesting place, full of history!
Where do you display your finial form the jail??
How is packing/moving going???
Huh? Huh???
Hugs, sweet friend!
Muah!
~me