Monday, July 12, 2010

Sizzling hot thrift store finds

Arizona might be great for year round yard sales however, between June and October, with temperatures reaching 95 degrees by 8:30 am, it's hard to stay out looking for the deals.  

What's a girl to do?  Why head to the thrift shops of course, which is where I found this lovely chair.  


Wicker and wood chair, very Pier One, with Pier One cushions included.  Price was $29.99.  Gasp!  I really wanted this chair but would blow my entire budget for the week.  I walked around and thought about it and really, really, real-leehheee, wanted it.  So I started looking it over and that's when I discovered this...

I know it's hard to tell, but the trim has been pulled away from the back, then I discovered that the back was also pulled away from the chair.  Oooh.  Dang It!  Not a happy camper.  Then the Thrifting Gods tapped me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear to "ask for a discount".  
I did, they asked when I was taking it...I said "Right Now, if the price is right" (don't cha love bargaining???) The gentlemen at Savers says..."Uh, how's $14.99?"  Hello! Gorgeous!  You are coming home with me.
This is what she looks like without the $45.00 worth of Pier One sage green cushions.  I repurposed another cushion from the patio to give it a little more padding...it was a bit uncomfortable before.

You can see the floral cusion under the fabu Pier One cushion.  Glad I hung on to these!  I will find another coordinating fabric to recover the bottom cushion, making it less obvious.  Don't you just love the braided trim?

She is in need of a little TLC but for $15.00 I am willing to take the time to make her shine.  Funny thing is...the cushions coordinate with another chair I have in the living room!  Love it when that happens.
One day...I hope to have chairs like this...

or this....
sigh...oh how I love this chair from Pottery Barn.  Can I have two puhleez?

I digress...back to thrifting!  Then headed to Savers today and look what I spied....Uh-huh...this is so flippin' fabulous, I almost tripped trying to get to it before anyone else!
I had visions of Pottery Barn dancing in my head!

A real melon crate...for $3.99.  Score!  

Then if things couldn't get any better, earlier today, the company I work for had a dock sale...sort of like a garage sale of epic proportions...they are cleaning out a warehouse of all the items that have been stored there FOREVER!  There was mid century modern pieces, patio sets, washers, dryers, bbq grills, rattan furniture and even some gorgeous rugs.  I didn't see anything I really wanted/needed until I spied this little rattan table with a solid wood top.


 $10.00!  Yes, $10.00 and a visit to my spray paint salon for a couple of coats of black paint, then a new home in the kitchen.  When I told Fly Guy that I bought a table from the company we both work for...he remarked..."A garage sale at work?  Isn't any place safe from you?"  Uh...No!

Just wanted to show the items I purchased at the Estate sale a few weeks back. This was the sale where the lady had tons of everything?  I gingerly made my way through the maze of people and tables to a stand with these four plates and cups.
Yes!  I spied these as soon as I walked in and had to have them as they match the four dinner and salad plates I picked up last year.   Prices were 50% off marked so I paid $5.50 for four dinner plates and four cups.  Now to find four more salad plates!

Then as luck would have it, the next weekend was the 50% off sale at Goodwill.  I nearly forgot myself and did the happy dance.
Four green bowls from the same company Home for Target that coordinate with the plates.  Yes...I know...I got a bit excited when I realized they were only $.35 cents each.  Yessss!  (Fist Pump!)

Maybe summer time isn't such a bad thing after all...

Linking up with Rhoda over at Southern Hospitality for Yard Sale Finds. 


and Leigh at Tales from Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday.

A biento!

Audra

10 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Great bargaining skills! Love the chair and a little TLC and perfection! Those are some nice dishes and awesome prices you are getting on them. My FAV? the crate oh yes although I like the table a lot also!!

Mimi said...

Good thing we weren't both at that estate sale, Audra...I would have had to arm wrestle you for those cute rooster dishes! That is a great table...

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

wowwwwwwwwwwww! You found some amazing goodies...i never have luck like that! lol! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Mimi said...

HI!!!
SUCH great deals!!YES!!!We must shop inside for the next 3 to 4 months!!!It is SOOOO very hot right now!!!!Don't melt and don't dehydrate, drink lots of H2O
hugs,
jamie

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

Love the rooster plates!! That chair is awesome and I am looking for some crates! You scored!

Beth said...

I'll take two of those leather club chairs from PB, please! I love PB. I just drool over their catalog when it comes in the mail.

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Those are all really great finds! I really love that table with the rattan base!

Manuela

Margaret said...

A) Quit your job
B) Become a personal shopper
C) Buy for moi

Laura said...

What incredible deals you found - congratulations!! I am SO loving the chair and rattan table. They would've made a cute spot to drop your keys and sit for a spell, perhaps while thumbing through the mail. So glad I found your blog; thanks for visiting Ruminations today!

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

Fabulous deals! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thirsday at Bloggeritaville!