Thursday, June 10, 2010

Frugalista Fashion Friday

This is a subject that is close to my heart.  I love clothes, I have had a love affair with them since birth. I also love fashion but only if it's frugally affordable.  I learned my lesson a long time ago, when I purchased a pair of boots in the 80's, white leather fold down tops with large "rhinestones" on the cuff and straps that criss-crossed on the boot with silver studs.  I paid $90.00 of my hard earned baby-sitting, stall shucking, yard work, chore doing money on these boots.   A year later they were still beautiful but SOOO out of style and I saw them in a clearance center for $9.00~  I wore them for another two years until the late 80's and moved on to another fad.

I purchase most of my clothing second hand, gently used or new from garage sales or thrift stores.  I will even buy something on 75% off at Old Navy or Target.  I never pay full price.  Nope...I refuse to. 

With this in mind I have instilled in the College Diva the need to look for formal wear at discounted prices.  She is always in need of a formal or special occasion dress for sorority events.  I am always on the look out for them everywhere.  Here's College Diva and her room mate Alaska Darling modeling dresses I picked up for...fraction of the original cost.

CD's Torrid dress $9.99 (retails for $89.00), matching shoes $4.99 and AD's David's Bridal dress $8.00 (retail $168.00)and I had a $3.00 coupon from donating making these outfits under $20.00!

Here is another sorority sister borrowing another semi-formal dress that I purchased for $8.00 at a consignment shop.
The orange dress retails for $110.00 at David's Bridal.

Nearly $300.00 worth of dresses for less than $30.00?  I call that Frugal Fashion!

Ta Ta For Now!
Audra

6 comments:

Kristi said...

I love it!!! I never buy new clothes either. Unless I absolutely HAVE to, which is never, lol! And like you when I DO buy them new, they are ALWAYS on the clearance rack! I found a BRAND NEW Vera Wang dress at the Salvation army for $8 that I wore to my bridal shower 11 yrs ago!!! I am a consignment, thrift store and garage sale shopper always!
Your daughter and her friends look fantastic!!! There is NO reason to spend more! Good for them for learning YOUNG! :)
Kristi

Mimi said...

Both beautiful girls are wearing gorgeous dresses. I can't imagine paying full price for something they are only going to wear once or twice.
Maybe you could be my personal shopper, Audra!

Rhonda said...

the girls are just beautiful and perfectly dressed! you did great.

I saw lots of sorority girls back when I cooked for fraternities (back when I was crazy) and your girls look way better than the ones I usually saw.

mangocheeks said...

Audra,
There are so many pretty dresses at charity shops and thrift stores that people wear once and 'dispose' of. I'd be happy to wear these dresses if I had the opportunity. Its not always what you wear any way, but how yo wear it and these young women look STUNNING!

MindyMom said...

Great finds! I'm gonna have to follow your lead and figure out how to get more bang for my ever-shrinking buck!

Btw, thank you SO much for your very AWESOME comment on my blog the other day. Made my frigggin day.

Mimi said...

HI!!!!
ANd they all look so lovely and so fashionable!!!!!
Yes, those sorority balls can get costly so anything and everything helps!!!!!Which sorority is she in????MY Darling daughter was or still is, you know for life!!!!A Tri-Delta, the triangle!!!!
OK, anywho, great job!!!!
hugs,
jamie