Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Birthday Yard Sale Finds and A Church Rummage Sale

I love, love, love to yard, garage, estate, junk, and rummage sale.  Any day that I can do that is a wonderful day.   You can imagine how stoked I was that my birthday fell on a Saturday this year! I headed out to spend a little birthday cash.  


I like to get an early start, because it is getting warm, hot, nuclear here.  The early bird catches the worm so they say, but the early bird is less likely to get sunburned or heat stroke I say.  Though we can sale all year round, summer is kind of a drag.  Start by 6:00 am and wrap it up by 9:30 am because it's just too hot to stay outside unless you want to melt.


I had seen the signs for a Church Rummage Sale, but no time was listed.  Headed on over about 7:00 am after hitting a few sales on the way.  Desert Springs Church had half of one of their parking lots full of stuff.  Great items, great prices and...they even had cold soda, water and bake goodies for sale.  I will admit that I purchased the Reluctant Teenager and I the most amazing Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Cookies that I have ever tasted.  Wish I would have taken a picture of them, but we gobbled them up.  Decadent I tell you.


Just a quick shot from the parking lot.    7:00 am and there were several people already in line to pay for their goodies.
Furniture, appliances, toys, clothing, house hold items, decor, you name it, it was there.
I wished my kids were little, the prices on these items were fantastic.  Little kitchen with pots and pans..$10.00, looked brand new! Strollers from $5.00 to $15.00!




Tools, fish bowls, dog kennels...oh my!
This was a little stand with four baskets.  Brand new Pottery Barn Kids...$15.00.  I know!  Caa-uuute!
Little girl and grandma were tired of watching Mom and Dad.  I was tempted to crash on this couch with her.  $25.00 for blue denim couch.
I also seriously thought about getting this game for my brother in law.  I passed, but at $3.00 it was tempting!


Here is what I did get from the sale.
Oh Yes!  I saw these from across the parking lot and tripped over there in a hurry.  Looking over my shoulder to see if any one else had spotted these lovelies.


Six dollars for all three of them.  Can you believe it?  How Pottery Barn are these?  They are wooden thread or yarn spindles.  I have two more of these at home and was over joyed to find these hanging out waiting for me. Then I spied this next to them.  Uh...Yes!
Wooden shoe form for $3.00.  Yes, I snatched it up too!
Miller Cast Company, West Hampton.    Several people stopped me and asked what the spindles were and what I was going to use them for.  I just smiled and said "I'll think of something".


As I am paying for my lovely haul, the cashier asked me  the same question, then she asked if I saw the scale?  Scale???? What Scale???


She looked around and found it on the ground behind the cashier station.  She asked and no one knew if anyone was purchasing it, so she offered it to me.
How could I say no???  I love it!  $4.00! Chippy paint and everything. Sigh...this is some serious love here.


Headed out to another sale where I found this beauty.  I didn't even try to offer another amount when I found out how much the seller was asking.
She had wanted $15.00 but offered it to me at $10.00!  SOLD!  I don't have enough counter space so this will solve problem of where to put all the fruit from my produce co-op basket.    
Loving the detailing on these baskets!


I hope you enjoyed the tour of my birthday yard sale antics.  I had a great time getting out and finding a few treasures for my home.  Head on over to Tales from Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday and showing up late to Coastal Charms Thrifty Tuesdays.  Leigh shows you some more Pottery Barn  reproductions of vintage soda crates.
I have seen actual vintage crates at sales and passed them by because I felt like $15.00 was a little to pricey.  Uh.  Think again!  Next time I am grabbing them up! 


A biento!


Audra


PS::  Thanks for all of you who wished me a Happy Birthday!

12 comments:

Linda said...

Love all your finds but my fav is the scale!! Love the basket for fruit also.

dogsmom said...

What wonderful birthday gifts - even if you had to hunt them down and pay for them yourself.
Sounds like my kind of party!
I would love to go hunting with you, except that we would be competing for same items.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! i loveeeeeeeeeeeee your finds!! Glad U had a good birthday! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Beth said...

WOW! Those are some great finds!

Sue said...

That was a great deal on the scale! Love the chippy red paint. And the shoe last was also a good bargain. What a nice day you had spending your B-day money!

Mandi said...

Soooo sooo jealous. So.Jealous!! The pepsi crates, the fruit bin. . . that is a smoking hot yard sale!

(happy birthday again! hugs)

Kristi said...

you got some GREAT things!! And WOW the scale is fantastic! Glad you had a good time! I would have ran for the same stuff :)
Kristi

Mimi said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUDRA!!!!!!
I attend Desert Springs church, the one in Chandler, AZ!!!!!Were you out here in Chandler to go to a SALE!!!!!WOW, you are a die hard attendee!!!!
Good for you!!!!
I would have liked that pottery barn stand and baskets!!!!love your scale!!!!
And I agree about the wooden soda crates!!!!Very cool!!!!
have a great day!!!!
Sorry I have not been by lately, I'll have to explain later!!!!
hugs,
jamie

Debbie said...

Those are some seriously great finds! I am envious of your decorating eye and flair.

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Why do yard sales/rummage sales have so much better stuff when they are 10,000 miles away from my house?

There are about 30 things I want in those pictures.

I want to know what youre going to do with the spindles as well?

Rhonda said...

that was a great sale - it looks better than most of them ones here too,
my neighborhood is havin their annual sale on Sat. so I am excited and hoping to get goodies like you

mangocheeks said...

I think the vintage crates are a little pricey too.