Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Gift (Yard Sale Find)

This weekend I was in Cottonwood helping the family for Sunshine Girl's upcoming wedding.  My Aunt asked me on Friday night if I could make an early run to drop off several bags of donations to the Good-Buy Shoppe in town.  As it benefits the Animal Shelter, my family and I try to donate to this worth while cause as often as possible.


What is it about weddings, family reunions and remodeling that makes you realize how much crap uh, treasures you have.  I made my drop off to the shop and notice a fetching site.


Yep....Yard Sale sign.  Uh, huh.  You know my car (or in this case Fly Guy's trusty X-Tera) navigated itself right to that blessed sale.  


I spotted a gorgeous clock as I started up the walk...I rushed over.  Uh...Muh...Gaaawwwdddd!  This guy had wonderful, collectible stuff, but man oh man was the pricing OUTRAGEOUS! 

His prices were three times more than I was willing to pay.  I wandered around trying to get a feel for him to see if I could talk him down from the $25.00 price tag on the lovely French reproduction-knock off pendulum clock. I asked questions,  I chatted him up.  Come to find out he is a "Picker" a term he uses to describe his shopping style.  He picks things up here and there and if he likes them he figures they will some how go with what he has.  


I waited for a break in his "one that got away stories" and inquired about the clock.  He said he could go down to $20 on the clock.  I told him that I had been looking for a large French style clock for a bare wall.  I was just afraid this one might be too small for the space (a ploy to hopefully get him to come down a few more dollars).He then says he has a bigger clock in the garage.  


Can I tell you how awesome this garage was?  I wish I had more cash to spend because he had it ALL...Shutters, windows, architectural salvage, iron door nobs, hinges, screen doors, rusted ceiling tile and more.  Lots and lots more.   I died and went to Junkers Heaven.  Sigh.


He pulls out the object of my desire.  HUGE...Ginormous, Mega Large31 inches of gorgeous French wall clock.  I tentatively ask how much, he says...:"Whadda I offer the other one for $20.00?  How about $15.00 for this one because the metal hands are bend and a bit crinkled".  UH...I could have hugged him.  


So here she is...my Mother's Day gift ala yard sale....after I straightened her bent hands and put a new battery in her.  All the way from Cottonwood, Arizona for her Frugal Missus debut....





Voila!
I have coveted these large clocks for years but found the price tag tres chère.
Now she is mine and I love her... 
Just so you know.  I love her lots and lots.
Huge...31 inches across!  OMG!
 I just checked for this clock on the internet.  Original cost $237.00, on sale at Simply Wall Clocks for $157.00 a difference of $142.00.  Do I need to mention how much I *lurve* yard sales?


Linking up with Rhoda over at Southern Hospitality for Thrifty Treasures.  Please head over and see her Mothers Day finds and her post about The Lovelady Center.
A biento, ma chère amies! 

Audra

13 comments:

Laura Lynn said...

Well, I'd say you love her - she's awesome! Way to go!
Laura

Mandi said...

I love it!! So so so jealous of that yard sale dude! Where does he find all his stuff? Can I have some shutters?

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! U hit the mother load!! GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Always Nesting said...

Score!! Beautiful clock.

Linda said...

Great clock and your chatting with him got you a great deal! Love it and so happy for you to get an object of desire!

Rhonda said...

Audra, you find the best stuff!
Enjoy your clock, it is beautiful.

Mimi said...

WOW...what a great deal! Love those yard sales. We want to see it in it's new home.

Jennifer said...

She gorgeous!!!

Linda said...

Awesome find, Audra~ I just love it!d

Anny said...

Wow! Finding stuff you covetted for cheap is the best feeling :D

Liz said...

Well! You worked for that deal! It is well worth it too! It is soooo cute. 31 inches. Holy cow! :)

Happy Mother's Day!!

~Liz

Melissa Miller said...

Audra your clock is gorgeous! Love the vintage French feel to it. :)

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

Okay, now.
YOU are the yard sale ninja-warrior-Amazon-chick!
That is wonderful!
Where did you put it?