Sunday, April 18, 2010

Thrifty Treasures Away From Home....

I am baaaack! 
What a whirlwind weekend!  I could have stayed another three days and visited with my lovely Aunt and Uncle.  


On a sad note...I forgot the cf card for my camera!  UGH!  I always forget something.  Being frugal I didn't want to spend beaucoup francs for a new one so I took pictures with my camera phone!  I hope they turn out and if not, well I will be back up there in a few weeks helping with preparations for my cousins wedding in May.

Got a very late start on Saturday.  We were feeling kind of lazy and I was a bit under the weather with the food I ate the night before. (Fast food ALWAYS tears me up...why do I even TRY???)

Even with a late start (10:30 am) I found some great items.

The fabulous yellow aluminum pans from Montgomery Wards.  $3.00.  I have a serious love affair with aluminum.  See more about that here.

My mother had a set of these in a dark boston baked bean red.  These are the pots I learned to cook with and I was far too cool to accept them as my first cook ware when I moved out, opting for teflon pans. UGH.

There was one large lid for the dutch oven, but no dutch oven and another pan missing the lid and the handle. 
Bottom of the pan....


At an Estate sale I found this lovely...It weighs 21 pounds
Of course I had to have it...I love old books and do you see the gorgeous crown?
$1.00
Yep.  $1.00!
Date in book is 1963.

Then I found this small book...
The title is Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge (The Knight of Maison-Rouge: A Novel of Marie Antoinette)
by Alexandre Dumas.
Inside is a label...Superior, Wisconsin Public Library

The book is in rough shape, I may use it for decoupage or just as prop book.

These really strange looking hangers, they twist at the ends and make a crazy loop.
.50 for eight.

Stopped at a wondeful rummage sale at the Vineyard Church and picked up loads of clothing and items for my cousins wedding.  Prices were phenominal! My Aunt and I walked away with loads of stuff and only spent $14.00 each!

Will post more of our finds tomorrow and some pictures from my phone.

Linking up with Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for Thrifty Treasures.


A biento!

Audra

10 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

wowwwwwwwww....such great finds! :):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Linda said...

Wonderful finds! Love those pans I remember my Mom having those also!

Audra said...

those old books look neat!! you always find such fasinating things!!!

Rhonda said...

you always find the best stuff! I want to come shop with you.

have fun cooking with your new pots

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

Hi Audra!
My birthday is June 15th! :)
Our beloved Canon camera died a few weeks back (we got a new one this past week), and I missed being able to take pictures of my good friends who came for a visit- 3 sets of friends (One set from FL, one from NC and one from GA) within one Spring Break week.
I was bummed, but thankfully, they had cameras and put the pics up on FaceBook, and I copied them to my PC.
Whew!
What DID we do before the internet, I mean, really , how DID we survive?
I love those old aluminum pans, and so does my mom, esp. the avacado green ones.
When I find them, I mail them to her (and it costs and arm and a leg because they're so heavy). Good think I find them cheap.
The brand mom likes is the Club Aluminum.
Anyway- I slept in this past Sat. morn, because the night before, our local HUGE Baptist church had their annual tag sale on Friday night at 6 PM.
You'll be happy to know that I didn't hurt anyone.
I got some nice things I need to go post about now- so a biento, to you, too!
<3

Creations By Cindy said...

Loven the yellow pots and pans. Be blessed. cindy

Aubrey said...

wow I seriously have not heard the name Montgomery Ward in a looong time! lol

Thanks for the sweet comments. I"m so glad you had a good time with your aunt and uncle! Hoping to plan a giveaway next month for my one year blog anniversary..this month's been crazy! :P Have a great week!

Kristi said...

I love all your finds!! I especially love the old books, I have an obsession with them!! :)
Kristi

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ said...

You are a treasure magnet Audra!!! What finds...I especially am loving those books...and am imagining all manner of goodies you acquired for a mere fourteen dollars!!! Such fun. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Michelle said...

What great fids, I have such an obsession with old books.

:) Michelle