Sunday, April 11, 2010

Saturday Treasures 4-10

I want to thank everyone for the kind words and well wishes for my health and speedy recovery.  I had dental work done to crown two teeth and cap a broken tooth and I ended up with a infection in the jaw and palate of my mouth.  I can't tell you how uncomfortable I was, but reading your kind words made things so much better.

I am happy to report the infection is gone and I will be going back to the dentist for the final installment of work on Thursday, April 15th.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Saturday brought beautiful spring weather and a few yard sales.  Seemed to be less sales than usual, perhaps because of Nascar Races.  I do  not follow Nascar though I am appreciative of the revenue it generates for the city and for the company I work for that has an on site grocery store.

Without further ado here are the few lovelies I found this week.
Wooden boxes with potential.  I think I will paint them black and maybe stencil numbers or french words on them.  I have been so inspired by Mandi at Tidbits from the Tremaynes.  She does amazing things with wood and paint.

and...
I am a sucker for tins, and anything with a rubbed bronze finish.
Again...I love urns and these beauties weigh 8 pounds each!
This sale was a couple down sizing from a six bedroom home after their 8th child is about to go off to college.
The kids ran the sale and it was darling to watch them take such an interest in the people buying their parents things. 

I love movies and at $1.00 a piece these were a bargain.  I have a flinch point of $3.00 on dvds and that has to be one I REALLY want.  I have gone to sales where the movies are marked $5.00 to $7.00!  I just won't buy them at that price.
These work out dvd's were .50 each.  For that I thought I would try them out before sending them on to a friend!

This had to be the second favorite find of the day.
$3.00 "Library" sign.  I *heart* french things and this was so going home with me.
At this sale, there was a customer standing next to the garage pointing things out saying, I will take that, that, this, that and that.  She then told the lady to hold all these items so she could go get the money.
I thought it was a bit RUDE but didn't say anything.  As I was looking at a food processor (I have been wanting one FOREVER!) she said "oh and that, I will take that as well.
Rah-hude!

I also picked up these books at the sale. 
The colors are amazing...I can't wait to find a place to display them.

That concludes my great shopping expedition.  I wanted to share one crazy yard sale sign I saw yesterday.  Now...I think signs should be large enough to see and should be easy to spy when driving.  This is what this couple thought would bring droves of people to their sale....are. you. ready???
Yep.. a 12 inch cone with a tiny sign that had "SALE" on it.
I drove past it three times trying to find where to turn in.

For the record the prices were about three times higher than from Marshall's, TJ Maxx or Home Goods.  Outrageous! 
I didn't buy anything.


Linking up to Southern Hospitality's Thrifty Treasures.  See what Rhoda and the others have found in their hunt for treasures.
Avoir une merveilleuse semaine

Audra

22 comments:

Linda said...

You did get some good deals but that rude person! Well that should not be allowed. She could then come back and after looking at the item say no and then you have missed it. Not fair.... ok rant over. LOL...

Audra said...

those urns are GORGEOUS!! your beautiful finds are seriously making me want to go hit up some yard sales!! I can't believe how rude that lady was!! I would've been beyond irritated!! Glad you're feeling better!! :)

Mimi said...

I really like the wooden boxes, they would be great for magazines.

You should have said, "no, you are not buying the food processor, it is in my hands"! Why are people so rude and pushy when it comes to yard, estate, thrift store sales...they turn so greedy, like there isn't enough to go around.

Beth said...

I'm glad you almost have the dental work behind you. You found some great things at the yard sale! I hate when people have their "stuff" over priced.

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Some people just dont have a social filter.Sounds like you met one at the garage sale yesterday.
Fancy putting things on hold at a garage sale!

My favourite from your haul this weekend is the library sign. Lovely!

Glad you're feeling better.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

wowwwwwwwwwwwww! great finds!! loveeeeeeeee the wooden boxes! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

1. ouch on the tooth/mouth infection...that doesn't sound pretty or fun!

2. i love the tins you found, they're ornate and gorgeous!

3. Carmen Electra rocks! the videos are fun and cute...tasefully done....you don't even realize your working out, because you're trying to 'dance'...

4. Thanks for your comment on my Shop Chic Totes....i'm busy working away on them to finish them off and list!

5. Have a great Sunday night!

ciao bella
creative carmelina

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

1. ouch on the tooth/mouth infection...that doesn't sound pretty or fun!

2. i love the tins you found, they're ornate and gorgeous!

3. Carmen Electra rocks! the videos are fun and cute...tasefully done....you don't even realize your working out, because you're trying to 'dance'...

4. Thanks for your comment on my Shop Chic Totes....i'm busy working away on them to finish them off and list!

5. Have a great Sunday night!

ciao bella
creative carmelina

Polly said...

Hi Audra! That is such a pretty name! Thanks for coming by my blog...I'm glad we've connected!

I love your finds, especially the urns and the bibliotheque sign! I heart all things french too!

Looking forward to getting to know you better through your blog!

Polly

Tracy F. said...

Love your bibliotheque sign---what a great find!Glad you're feeling better. I had similar dental work recently, but luckily had no problems. Thank you so very much for visiting my blog!

Linda said...

Hi Audra- glad to hear you are feeling better and hit some good sales! You had some great finds- I especially love the urns! You are right...that is a sorry garage sale sign...

Robyn said...

love love love that BIBLIOTEQUE SIGN!

Allison Shops said...

Glad you're feeling better. What nice finds. Not sure I could work out with Carmen! lol

Allison

Mandi said...

Okay first off, I want to tell you how sorry I am that you had all that going on! Seeing firsthand what all that dental work can do to a person PLUS an infection. . . whoa. My heart goes out to you. Prayers for a speedy speedy recovery.

2nd, I too LOVE that bibliotheque sign! So jealous! You have got some smokin' hot finds, sista.

Following you. :)

kim said...

You found some great stuff. Don't worry about the decanter you passed up I am sure you will find another one. I am seeing them like crazy in the flea markets now.

Brittany said...

i love finding old books! great finds.

Kammy said...

You found some great finds ! I love your picture of the little sign...people are so funny with the advertising !
Kammy

Kristi said...

You got some great finds!! Love the little urns and what a GREAT idea for the boxes!! I might have to steal that idea! ;)
I can't stand it when I go to a yard sale and people have ridiculously high prices! What is the point right? Oh well, they are the ones that have to haul it all back inside :)
Kristi

Lana said...

Great finds! Sorry for the mean lady and I pray that your infection continues to be all better/ you have a better dentist's visit!
Hugs, L

Anny said...

WOW nice scores lady! Those boxes are going to be amazing :D

It looks like you found beautiful things in spite of that annoying woman. I hate people who snatch everything up too *frown*

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Boy that lady did sound rude. I couldn't imagine going to someone's garage sale and just standing around pointing to things like that. I wonder if she also made them pack her stuff to her car. :(

I agree with you on the DVD's - $5 each ain't happening for me. Great finds!

Jennifer said...

Thank you so much for the sweet comment you left!!! I finally caved in and started a blog! My husband thinks I'm nuts because I take pictures of strange things! lol! Wow! You got some really good stuff! I love everything you got!