Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Packing for a weekend trip....

Heading out of town this weekend to visit my family in Cottonwood.  
First a stop for a short visit with College Diva to deliver frozen home cooked meals, goodies and forgotten clothes (from her previous visit).  

Quick dinner with her then a drive down to the Verde Valley where my family lives.

This brings me to the dilemma and reason for this post.
I have a problem packing.  Oh, I can pack a lot into a small suitcase to be sure, I just have a major problem bringing way-hay more than I will need or ever wear.  Yep...I am an over-packer!

I tell myself each time I won't do it, but I do.  One more thing, what if I want to wear this instead of this...indecision kills me every time.

Every time I go on a trip, vacation, weekend trip, over niter...I over pack.  Every.Single.Time.

This time I promised I would only pack what I really needed with one outfit as an alternate.  BIG STEP for me.

This brings me to my second point in this post.  ALL the items..are either thrifted or picked up at  garage sales.  
I purchase 90 % of my clothing at garage sales, thrift stores or clearance.  Why shop retail when there are goodies like this to be had for pennies on the dollar?

Here is my clothing for the trip.

List:
2 Chico's 3/4 sleeved shirts (St. Peter's Thrift $4.00for multi color/ $2.00 for the solid black one)
1 Lane Bryant tank top (brand new $1.00 yard sale)
1 pair of Coldwater Creek Jeans (purchased NWT from Savers Thrift Store I picked up 3 pair for 21.00! Original price of one pair was $78.00)
1 Caribbean Joe blue light weight hoodie brand new(St. Peters Thrift $2.50)
2 pair of Old Navy wide leg yoga pants (purchased brand new at yard sale..$1.00 each)
1 Vera Wang Pajama set (St. Peter's Thrift $3.00 for set) Brand New
1 Old Navy Black Tank Top ($1.00 yard sale)


1 pr. Born Espadrilles (Savers Thrift $6.00)
1 pr. Born leather sandals (yard sale $4.00)

Total cost of outfits $31.00.    FRUGAL SCORE! 


But wait...there's more.  I am always on the look out for duffel bags, totes and suit cases at yard sales.  A few weeks back I scored this brand new bag for...$2.00!  From Nine West.
My very own weekend bag!

That is why I am linking up with Leigh at Tales from Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday.  Head over and see the great clothing items Leigh picked up for her family!

A tout alors!

Audra

12 comments:

decorator to the stars said...

AUDRA, HAPPY TRIP, I ALSO OVERPACK; IT'S LIKE JUST IN CASE YOU DON'T COME BACK LOL. DON'T FORGET TO PACK A NECKLACE & TAKE THAT KEYCHAIN FOR BON CHANCE :) GIO

Aubrey said...

I get you honey! I dread the packing I have to do in June for my 2 week trip to California! I can never make up my mind what I want to wear so I just bring it ALL! LOL...Hope you have a wonderful time!

Beth said...

I love that duffel bag! And you scored on those Born shoes. Have a safe trip!

Kristi said...

I love all your thrifty finds!! I shop the same way as well! It KILLS me to buy clothes in a "real" store and when I do have to, I usually go to Marshall's or TJ's!
Have a great trip :)

Susan said...

Hope you have a wonderful time on your trip!! You really scored at the thrift stores.....bought your whole wardrobe for the trip.........amazing

Linda said...

I overpack but keep working on it. Great finds! I love to thrift clothes...like you say why pay retail if you don't have too.

Audra said...

great deals!! love that bag!! have a safe trip!!

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Audra ,I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

The one and only time I didnt overpack for a 4 day trip we actually got stuck where we were for 10 days . After day 3 my underwear in one of my bra cups broke..and it's not like I'm small, so I had to walk around with one boob at about my knee for the remaining 6 days. It also gets nasty when you have to rinse your undies out and wear crappy clothes in public because you never expected you were going to have to be seen in public....

I say ...you go girl ..overpack all you want..I've been psuychologically scarred for life by not overpacking on one occasion and I am NEVER going there again.

Always Nesting said...

Such a good mom!:) I'm an overpacker also. I get home and always wonder the same thing. Why did I take so many clothes?

Patti said...

I want to go shopping for a day with you!! Have a fun trip!

Stop over to Pandora's Box to enter a giveaway! patti

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

Hi Audra!

I say, if you have room for it, like it, and think you'll wear it: pack it!
Um, I think I saw the Nine West bag first--back away slowly from it, and I won't have to hurt you.

I am going to go get my college girl and bring her home for the weekend and make her run all my errands while I go rummaging.
Don't we love our little college students, though?

Bon Voyage!!

Mimi said...

I have been known to over pack, too! You sure found some great buys if you only paid $31 for a weekend worth of clothes...I need to go shopping with you, one day. Have a very safe, fun trip, Audra.