Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Favorite Place to Escape....

My most favorite place to visit is the home of my Aunt and Uncle in Cottonwood, Arizona. My Aunt is an amazing woman, she raised five children as a single mother when her husband was killed in a mining accident, sold Avon to supliment her income and was a die hard Rummage Sale/Yard Sale hunter for years.  She was raised on a ranch during the Depression and learned to use "everything". 

She has done just that in her yard, gardens and patio areas.  I love the eclectic use of pots, pans, old toys and miscellania she has spread about with flowers and tress.  I hope you will enjoy these pictures.




.


                           
Flowers in old washer "tub"

Old Andirons from torn down Hotel in Jerome, Arizona

Old bottles found at one of the old dump sites in Jerome, Arizona




As you can see she uses everything and has a use for just about everything.
Old toys found in Jerome
I love that everything has a place!
 
I found this rusted pot belly stove at a sale for $3.00.  It's her newest pride and joy.
She is planning on putting succlents inside and on top.
Flower wheel my Uncle made for her. (She married him after being widowed for several years...)
He is another die hard frugalite and made this from reclaimed wood, metal and misc he has found or scavenged.
 
He also built this pond for her.  She has both koi and goldfish in it. 
Just beyond in the fore ground is the pecan trees that Fly Guy and I were married under...nearly three years ago.
 
Many more pictures to show you, I promise to post more tomorrow!
 
A Tout Alors!
 
Audra

20 comments:

Mandi said...

Totally rad garden, Audra. Can't wait for s'more. . .

Aubrey said...

I LOVE this garden! Drooling over the bottles!

Tell your son how very touched I am that he would think of my husband, I got all teary-eyed. He's actually getting promoted, but for now he is PFC Michael Hall! He was in one year as of January and will be re-enlisting in Afganistan in a few months. He is a gunner and also doing military polics work there for now. Thank you so much for your support and prayers, I covet them!

Melissa Miller said...

Audra it is a beautiful garden!
I just adore the succulents. ~Lovely job! :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww!!! These photos are GORGEOUS!!! What a WONDERFUL garden! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Always Nesting said...

What a beautiful yard, and a lovely place to get married :)

Crazy Daisy said...

Beautiful! I would love to spend an afternoon in that yard!

Debbie said...

What a lovely place. No wonder you like to go there.
I'm a new follower from Friday Follow.

A Mom After God's Own Heart said...

Totally beautiful space for escaping! Wonderful blog! I am your newest follower from Friday Follow and would love a follow back:)

http://therempels4.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

Audra your Aunt is a very cool lady!~ I love everything whimsy and fun, and this garden is all of that an more! I love that koi pond!

tara said...

i love the flower wheel! following you back...

VKT said...

Hi there. I found your blog through Friday Follow. If you are interested in becoming a follower of my blog, I would be more than happy to follow yours back.

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

What a great garden! I love gardens that have "stuff" in them. That flower wheel is so neat.

I just noticed your favorite music on your blog profile. Most of them are mine too. Have you listen to Within Temptation? Great band - similar to Evanescence.

Manuela

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ said...

She sounds like an amazing person Audra! So lucky you are to have her in the family!!! These images are inspiring...I can't wait to see the stove planted with succulents (so clever). We are doing something similar here, planting a small stove with a kitchen garden (I thought it was a perfect match...stove...kitchen...:)!!! I'll post pictures of it once it starts looking prettier. Can't wait to see more!!!
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Audra! Your aunt has an interesting garden...lots of fun pieces and beautiful plants! Thanks for sharing! Happy weekend...Debbie

Rockin Momma said...

I'm a new Friday Follower! Visit me at http://www.rockindeals4you.com/?p=2462 and sign up for my newest giveaway!

I am Harriet said...

Hi there.
Stopping by from Friday Followers to say hello.
Have a great weekend!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/04/when-is-bigger-better/

VKT said...

Audra,

Your aunt truly does sound like an amazing woman. I love her pond and her creative use of old things like the andirons. Thanks so much for sharing. She sounds like a real treasure.

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

Hi Audra!
How are you today!?
I love your aunt's style!
It's like going back in time in her garden- especially the flower/ferris wheel- that is so wonderfully one-of-a-kind!
It the fence around the koi pond because of children?
You were married there, too?
That is very sweet!
And you are so sweet!
Thank you for the nice compliments on my bedroom!
You make me smile!
And I'm glad, because I threw all the junk (that didn't need to be in the pictures) into the bathroom, before taking pictures!!!
It's interesting that we have the same beds, too!
See, we would so be competing at yard sales! ;)
No, I would gladly give you whatever you wanted.
Maybe.
Have a blessed day, sweet friend!

Mimi said...

HI!!!!
I had an Aunt and Uncle that lived in Cottonwood for years too!!!!I would spend at least 1 summer week there a year!!!!Loved the small town dynamic growing up and they would take me to Jerome!!!!I love the pics!!!Such awesome things in her yard!!!!!
hugs,
jamie

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Audra...

Ohhh...I bet your Aunt's place is sooo much fun to visit! She sure has alot of interesting things...I would love it!!! I love, love, LOVE that flower wheel that your Uncle made...fabulous!!!

My friend, I apologize at not getting over sooner...but it's just been crazy busy at my place! But...I did want to come by and say thank you for stopping in at my Sunday Favorites "One Year" birthday party! Thank you for the well wishes, my friend!

Have a fabulous day and best wishes with the gift card giveaway!

Chari @Happy To Design