Monday, March 29, 2010

Saturday Treasures!

It has been a while since I posted any of my great finds.  I have been incognito..out of town, busy and visiting new blogging friends.  I have managed to sneak a little yard sale and rummage sale action in as well.  Not to mention a funny story about a carry on Apothecary Jar...

I joked with the ladies at the AZ Bloggers Spring Tea that I should change my tag line from "Trying to live fabulous on a shoe string budget" to "I Always Have Junque In My Trunk".  It's a sickness and I sure hope there isn't a cure.

Look what treasures I found on Saturday....

This lovely cork board with two push pins still attached.  $3.00!  I have been looking for one for my office space and here is the perfect board.  Ideal place to hang my tag from Meri.  This uber talented lady made these to pass around at the tea.  I took the SILLY to remind me to lighten up!

I spied this beauty at an Estate Sale...covered in dust and grime, I almost face planted in the dirt trying to get to it.  You know I am not the most graceful of girls and when I get excited....
No price tag so I hefted this baby over to the lady running the sale.  "How, gasp, Much, wheeze, For, uh...This??? 
She looked at me like I was crazy and said $3.00.  Girls I almost dropped this on my foot I was so shocked.  SOLD!  I am sure at one time there was a lid to the top, but it's ok with me just the way it is.

Look at this lovely crown close up and personal like....
This is real love ladies...Real, unadulterated love!

Next sale I spied this gorgeous creature...She beckoned me and I tripped right on over.  No price tag??? Is it for sale???
The gentleman said $5.00 and it was mine.  Of course he nearly threw out his back trying to put it in my car.  This thing weighs 40 pounds or more!   I would hug her but she might hurt me!

My cousin is getting married in May and we are looking for large, very large vases to fill with flowers for the head tables and food tables.  Look what I found for FIVE DOLLARS!
She is beautiful, n'est ce pas?  I don't know if you can grasp the size of this vase...hold on....
Motrin bottle next to vase...This is huge!  btw...not a crack on the side, just a piece of plastic from the wrapping.

Another sale brought this beauty to me.  Again a $5.00 find.

Slightly smaller than the other vase by three or so inches.  Impressive don't you think?

I wanted to show case one more thing I found at the Cornerstone Christian Church Rummage Sale from earlier this month.
Yep.  I love them.  Love, Love, LOVE at first sight.  I paid $5.00 for the set of three.  I am so in love with these. 

Last but not least...the Apothecary Jar story.  While in Mass. visiting my step brother and family, I had the chance to visit a local Good Will.  Let me tell you.  I wish I had a trailer to bring back all the goodies this place had.  I spied this lovely Apothecary Jar and bought it for $3.00!

Over 17 inches high, this is the largest jar I own.  Now how the heck to get it home.  Well...it would cost about $15.00 to ship it UPS or Fed Ex.  Uh...no.  Not Frugal.  To ship it USPS and insure it $13.25.  Also not so frugal.  Only one thing to do.  I put it in my carry on and prayed to the good Lord and the decorating gods and hoped that I could take it through.

When they scanned my bag in security, the man reading the scanner stopped it, looked at my bag three times and asked..."What is in your bag ma'am:".  "Uh...a jar...an Apothecary Jar".  He shook his head and asked if I had anything inside the jar..."Uh...no?"  The lady asked why I was carrying a jar back home.  So I explained that this wasn't an ordinary jar...but an APOTHECARY JAR and I had been looking for one FOREVER. 

At this point the scanner guy looks at me and asks (SWEAR TO GOD LADIES!) "Did you get this at Hobby Lobby?"  OMG!  He knew about HL!  I stammered "Good Will"... he said... "Guess I will tell my wife to look there too..it's a sickness with you girls isn't it?"

He let us go through with my lovely jar!  I carried her very carefully all the way to Phoenix. I felt kind of teary eyed over our journey!  I don't know what I would have done if they had not let me bring it on...


Linking up with Rhoda at Southern Hospitality Thrifty Treasures and Leigh at Tales from Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday and Jane at Finding Fabulous Frugalicious Friday Head on over and see what sweet things everyone else found this week.
Best Wishes for a wonderful week....

Audra

23 comments:

Jessi said...

Wonderful finds! I love that jog complete with the crown. I can almost see you lunging for it! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

Leslie, the Home Maker said...

Girl!
You and I would SO fight at yard sales and at Good Will over stuff!
I would knock you down and run you over to get those finds you found first, LOL!
I love all things French, too! Did you see that I made a cafe' in my basement? (Not bragging, just sayin' :)
My favorite thing that you found is that concrete urn thingy- it is divine!
The good Lord must have heard your cry for help when that airport man mentioned HL!! Too funny!
Well, it's so nice to meet you, and I probably would be nice to you if we went shopping together. I'd help you up off the ground after I got what I wanted.

*wink.

Blessings to you!!

Meri Wiley said...

Hi Audra,

I was so glad to have met you at the tea, you're such a lovely lady. I think we're gonna' have to go shopping sometime, or else you're gonna' have to tell me where you go, cause I can't seem to find these kind of things on this side of town. My daughter is getting married in May, too, and we're looking for large glass containers for candy, not flowers. I picked up a swirled milk glass punch bowl with six cups for $13 at "Tilly's" after the luncheon on Saturday. I plan to use the bowl for candy, and my daughter can have the set after the wedding to do with as she pleases. I'm so glad you like your tag, and it looks great on your new cork board.

Hugs,
Meri

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Your jar story reminds me of the time my husband brought home his mom's antique mantel clock on a plane, all wrapped up safe in a couple of towels. I'm amazed he got it through, but the guy immediately recognized the shape and they had a nice talk about Seth Thomas clocks!

Tracey said...

Such great finds! I never seem to be able to do good at garage sales or estate sales. I must not be attending the right ones!

Always Nesting said...

Great finds. Love the scanner story. Now that's a man that listens to his wife. :)

Lisa said...

Great finds! How cool he knew about the jars! He might not have let you through if he hadn't!
Happy Spring!
Hugs, Lisa

Pat Harris said...

What wonderful finds! Oh I envy you!

Thank you for visiting junkblossoms. Please stop in again.

Linda said...

I really truly love all your finds. I would be right there with you! My favorite is the Apothecary jar and the fact you carried it on the plane home...priceless! Love the scanners...just when they think they have seen everything? well here we come carrying one of our treasures.

Sue said...

What a hoot that you ended up in that scanner's line and he had a sense of humor! The jar was definitely a great buy, as were all the rest of the items you found. The three little iron pieces were a great frugal find. I'm glad you stopped by to visit. It is always fun to find new blogging friends. Glad you liked all of my faux chocolate. It really is good that it's not real, because I have absolutely NO willpower. *grin*
~ Sue

Linda said...

Wow, you really had some fantastic finds...and I love your airport security story!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your finds Audra!! such amazing pieces!!! love them! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Angie said...

You did sooooo good! I am jealous!

Sandy said...

Audra,
It was nice meeting you Saturday too...please email me at my regular email and we can set up a time to talk about the genealogy! :) Sandy

Dirty Hands-Beautiful Life said...

L-O-ve your passion!!

I got junque in my trunk...and tied to the roof...and sitting on my lap...and whatever else it takes!!!

decorator to the stars said...

AUDRA, GREAT STUFF, GREAT STORY :) DID YOU GET THE NECKLACE FROM ME THAT SAID "I ALWAYS HAVE JUNQUE IN MY TRUNK" I MAKE THAT ONE :) GIO

Aubrey said...

I would say you find some pretty great "junk"! Love it all! So happy for you! Looking foward to the warmer weather here when the garage sales start popping up!

Thank you for your sweet comments and prayers!

decorator to the stars said...

audra, do you want "junque in my trunk" or "i always have junque in my trunk", let me know gio

Pam said...

Great finds. I love apothecary jars too.
Pam

Brandi @ Frugal Farmhouse said...

great story! I love all your finds, seriously that jar and those vases are beautiful! I'm your newest follower :)

Liz said...

Wow, fantastic finds, Audra! I am very fond of the apothecary jars - lovely!

Also, I wanted to stop by and thank you for the wonderful advice you gave me on my kitchen cabinets, I really appreciate it!

~Happy Easter~

Liz

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Hey! I'll fight 'ya for that blue and white crock!!

Great finds!!

Manuela@TPOH said...

That's so funny that the airport guy knew about HL!!

You got some really great stuff!

Manuela