Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Poor Man's Silver

If silver is the poor man's gold and pewter is the poor man's silver, what is aluminum?

Vintage Aluminum baking pieces are making a come back in a big way.  I have fond memories of the aluminum pans my Mother and Grandmother baked with, the aluminum pitcher and glasses that my Aunt served her special sweet tea and lemonade out of.

I pick up odds and ends of bake ware at thrifts or garage sales when I can spot them.  Believe me, what use to be easy to find is getting harder to locate or pricier to collect.

Sooo....when I saw these lounging in a box marked 1.00 each, I did the happy dance, while sashaying sideways to get to the box before ANYONE else saw these....
And this....

I was shaking and twitching...the lady running the sale asked me if I needed to use the bathroom. 
I am serious!

This pitcher is the exact same Ware Ever that my Grandmother had!    It's a little beat up, but the sweet tea and lemonade won't mind a bit.

Better yet, I smiled sweetly and asked if she would take $5.00 for all of it. She probably thought I was going to spaz out right there. (for the record, I do usually contain my excitement when I find something fantastic...but sometimes I can't...this was one of those times)

I know there were people talking behind my back as I tripped to the car.  
That's okay....I can live with that!

Don't forget to enter my 100th Post Give Away!   Drawing will be held March 7th.

Linking up with Leigh over at Tales from Bloggeritaville for the 55th Thrifty Thursday


A bientot mes amies!


Audra

12 comments:

Love the Decor! said...

You make me laugh. Great finds too.I especially love the pitcher.

Linda said...

I love aluminum and that pitcher is extra special.

Alicia said...

I have the same square cake pan. It used to belong to my mother in law who passed away about 23 years ago and I inherited it in the divorce. I love it and use it constantly. What a score for you. The pitcher is adorable!

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Old bakeware rocks. It's sooooo much better than the new stuff.

When I cook a cake in my Nan's old pan it always seems to turn out so much better. Plus I think about how many cakes the pan has turned out over the years...there's a lot to be said for nostalgia !

Vicki said...

aww yes, the good old aluminum stuff....that still makes my teeth cringe! really, when my teeth touched the drinking cups they would go all weird...hard to explain. wonder if anyone else had this problem?? Oooo just thinking about it make my teeth do whatever that is...BUT I love that you found such a cool box of these and the pitchers is sweet! Oh, sorry. gotta move on...it's the teeth thing... :P

Jan @ bobbypinsboardwalk said...

Audra, I still bake with some of these pieces, which were my mother's. She gave them to me when I started out on my own, and they're great. I would, however, love to hat a pitcher like that.

Yesterday I got something VERY VERY special. Thank you so much for the rooster. He's BEAUTIFUL. My husband even liked him, and that's saying something (haha). I'm so happy to have him as part of my household. When I find the perfect place for him, I'll take a lovely picture and post it!

Have a great weekend!

Linda said...

Hi Audra- I loved this post! I SO know THAT FEELING when your at a sale where you hit the mother lode or just spot that PERFECT item! LOL! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I look forward to reading more of yours!

decorator to the stars said...

TEA & LEMONADE!!!!! I'M IN. I WENT TO THE STORE TODAY & BOUGHT SOME LEMONS, THEY LOOKED LIKE TURDS COMPARED TO THE ONES I GOT FROM YOU LOL GIO

Karen said...

Oh oh oh oh oh! :)
I can see you doing the happy dance now! Isn't it wonderful when something so awesome is just sitting there and you SPOT IT FIRST? Do not those other people see what they are missing? LOL.
I can smell the pizza and cookies and just taste the sweet tea! YAY!
HAGD! Karen

Anny said...

I love that pitcher - sweet deal :D

Rhonda in OK said...

Hi Audra
I am sorry I missed entering your giveaway - that is an adorable calenedar - it was just a crazy week last week and not much computer time for me.

Congrats on your 100th post and your great rummage sale finds - I do love that pitcher. I remember our church had those in the kitchen when I was young.

Prior said...

Audra, Those pitchers are great. They keep the drinks so cool and don't break, like glass. Why did we ever stop using them? plastic, I guess. Enjoy sipping your drink as you recall past memories of your grandmother. Lezlee