Monday, February 15, 2010

Yard Sale Finds And Perfect Weather

I headed out dark and early 6:30 am on Saturday morning with a mission.  I had great weather, money and a sponsor!   I was beyond thrilled when I was contacted by Garage Sale Tracker.Com to write a post about garage sales or as they are referred to in my area "Yard Sales".


What could I possibly tell you about yard sales that you don't know?  I don't have a specific set of rules or a formula that I follow.  I do have a "flinching" point on pricing and I try to be knowledgable about the cost of items.  Fair rule states that when pricing an item for a yard sale you can realistically ask for 1/4 to 1/3 of the original price of the object.  In many cases I have paid less than 1/16 of the price and in these times, why not make that money stretch as far as it can?


I set out with $25.00 and a goal to find some new decor items for my home that wouldn't break the bank.  I am in the midst of changing my theme and wanted core pieces that would make an impact for little cost.  I am all for discount stores, but you can't beat the deals to be found at yard sales.


I keep a small notebook in my purse with wants/needs and must haves listed.  I also keep a small photo album I purchased at the dollar store with paint samples, fabric swatches and measurements for windows, walls and spaces in my house.  This comes in handy when shopping the "sales".


First sale was a moving sale.  Love, Love, Love the moving sales.  Items are priced to move and you can usually shop for a look depending on the seller style.  This sale had so many items that I had to pace myself, Home Interiors, Party Light, Pottery Barn just to name a few..


Set of four Tabletop Unlimited plates in Rustico with the original price tags attached. $9.99 each. $40.00 worth of plates for $2.00.    I have been looking for round plates to mix with another set of  
Tabletop Unlimited dishes I own.
Don't these Fruation plates look great with the Rustico plates?

Four Zebra chargers $2.00 for all four.

These two Home Interior plates were $1.00 each.  I have been looking for wall decor for my French Indies inspired guest bathroom.
 
I love the Harlequin pattern on the rims.


This plate was $.50!  It will go perfectly with another set I own.



A set of metal vases from Home Interiors, $3.00, brand new in the box.
 

and the piece de la resistance!  A chanticleer for my table...

He stands 30 inches high, this photo doesn't do him justice.  The colors are fabulous.  His price...$7.00.  On the bottom of this piece is a price tag of $139.50 from a design store in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Every time I look at him, my heart skips a beat!

Next sale was another moving sale with three house holds worth of items.  A daughter, mother and sister-in-law getting ready to move to the East Coast, selling everything under the sun.  I forgot to charge my camera, so no pictures of this sale.  It was Fantastic, looked like a swap meet!

 
This little dove was $1.00, it's hard to see the beads draped over his wing, but they are light green as well.  
Green floral jar, $1.00.  Price tag on the bottom is $14.99

Heirloom white crest $1.00. Going to put it over a cherub picture in my living room.
 
Wire basket $2.00.  I have two other pieces in this same design, a smaller basket and a wine holder.  
Rooster candle holder. $2.00  Isn't he gorgeous with his antique bronze paint job?
Another Rooster?  Trash bin has price tag of $32.50 on bottom, my cost?  $1.00.
As I paid for my purchases, I felt excited and exhilarated.  I have lovely items to add to my home, I spent $24.50 and I enjoyed it.  I often hear people say that they can't find anything at yard sales.  My pearls of wisdom, go often, get an idea of the look you are trying to achieve and think out side the box.  That rooster "trash bin" is going to become a planter or storage for in my laundry room.  The small crest will add details to a picture, the plates will be the stars in a dinner table scape.

Please check out Garage Sale Tracker for Garage Sales, Flea Markets and Consignment Shops in your area.  You can also list your upcoming sale on the website.  It's FREE!  How much more frugal can you be?  

Also linking up with Leigh at Tales from Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday.

Don't Forget to enter the Frugal Missus GiveAway!

À bientôt!
Audra


22 comments:

Jan @ bobbypinsboardwalk said...

You did really well. I have the "heirloom white crest" as shown above, but mine is gold...come to think of it, maybe I painted it gold. I've had it about 8 years.

I wish that the weather were nicer here so that we would have yard sales.

Also -- I very much like the idea of the notebook. Sometimes when I go out to the yard sales, I will see something I like, then think, "I've no place to put it", then upon arrive home, I remember exactly where I could have put it!

Well -- you did great, and I'm totally jealous!

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Wow Audra .That makes you a published author! When you're famous I can say I knew the frugal missus way back when.

You're so organised with your paint swatches and notebook! I think you seriously outdid youself with your haul this week. Gorgeous!

If you decide the white heirloom crest doesn't go with the cherubs you can post it down under.... That would look great above my new window frame for the kitchen. Seriously...

Ditto the green floral jar.

All My Yesterdays said...

WOW, what a haul! And some great idea's for all of us, Yard selling won't start around here till maybe May...but I love the moving sales the best also.
Have a great week finding new places for your treasures!

Aubrey said...

You are true to your name, Frugal Missus! Love the harlequin plates! I'm also changing some decor in my new home...loving the color apple green lately! Glad to catch up on your posts, you were missed! Have a fabulous week! ~Aubrey

Rhonda in OK said...

all I can say is WOW!
awesome deals - I am really happy for you

Mimi said...

It'll be a couple months before we have any yard sales in this area! You found some fantastic treasures...♥♥♥ the rooster, he would look great on MY dining room table! Depending on the size of that waste bin, it would make a cute magazine holder...a planter, anything but for trash. The metal vases could also be used as planters. Thanks for sharing you morning of yard saling...I have to live vicariously through blogs, right now!

Marla at Always Nesting said...

Girlfriend, you scored!! Love your system. I'm going to have to try it out.

Proper Prim said...

Wow, I am so jealous. No yard sales around here for awhile yet.

Love "ALL" your finds. Can't wait to see what you do with them.

Linda said...

Great finds!! Love the Chanticleer! That is like your best bargain and gorgeous!

Betty said...

Wow! You make my heart go pitter patter! You really scored...all the items are right up my alley...

Blessings...Betty @ Country Charm

Jan @ bobbypinsboardwalk said...

Just wanted to get back to you re your comment on my blog, which I appreciate so much. Regarding your two chests, I think you need to take pictures of them and post them on your blog and take a poll about what color they should be. Put them on the side so that the poll can stay up for a couple of weeks and everyone has an opportunity to vote. List may the 4 colors or so that you're considering. Sound like fun?

decorator to the stars said...

AUDRA, I'M READY FOR THE WARM WEATHER TO START UP HERE, BUT THE SNOW'S NOT STOPPING ME FROM THE HUNT TOO MUCH SNOW SO YOU GOTTA MAKE LEMONADE RIGHT LOL GIO

Debbie said...

Omgosh, next time call me when you go yard sales...what great finds! The rooster took the show on that!

Betty said...

Audra,
Here I am back for the give-away...that rooster would look mighty good along with my flock of roosters and chickens.

I have a Chanticleer also...

I was elated to have you drop by for a visit...

Blessings...Betty @ Country Charm

Audra said...

Thanks Betty, will be posting about the giveaway tomorrow, will put your name in first. thanks a bunch. :)

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my gosh..............a bonanza of a shopping day! I love the pear plate.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Anny said...

The yard sale gods were with you today! I can't wait for it to be warm enough to start yard saling :(

jennifer said...

Good night! You got a lot of great bargains! I LOVE the metal vases. Those could be used in almost any room of the house.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did get some great deals!

The Flying Bee said...

Hi Audra!

Thanks for visiting my blog and following! I love this post! You did good! Garage Sales are the best!

~Adrienne

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

Audra,
LOVE your rules you set for yourself. I also adore you red rooster candle. Character! That guy has it! Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday this week!
Hugs,
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Karen said...

Holy cow! I want to come shopping with you! I'd be running down the driveways shouting "Start the car!" What a haul! How fun this is! I'm going to go look up the site you mentioned - I wonder if people know it about it around here . . .
Thanks for sharing - I still am in awe at all that you found!
Have a great day! Karen
Some days are diamonds