Monday, February 22, 2010

A little apothecary jar love....

I have always loved apothecary jars, but for whatever reason, I never picked them up at thrift stores or yard sales until recently.   I was inspired by all you wonderful bloggers and the fabulous things you do with these jars.


I have my eye on a couple of larger scale jars, just waiting for them to get closer to my price range. Until then I will continue to collect all the jars I can at thrifts and yard sales. 

Here are the few I own...



None of these cost more than a dollar, which is pretty frugal in my book.  The jar on the left is similar to the one that bit the dust at Christmas time, although it was an astonishing 15 inches high.  This one is maybe 11 inches tall.


Here is what it looked like when I purchased it.  It was scary.  Looked like something my Grandmother had on the back of the toilet in the 1970's bathroom.




Nothing a little soap and water, a good cleaning and tossing the "stuff" out. I am sure it had been in there since the 70's!

She is now hosting these vintage snooker balls I found on a recent excursion to a local thrift store.  I wished there had been more...so I am putting my thinking cap on and either using ping pong balls or wooden balls purchased at Hobby Lobby to make more to fill up the jar.  






What do you think?
 

Not bad for a four dollar investment?

Getting ready for spring cleaning and decorating with these jars. I will have pictures as I fill each jar up with frugal finds.






Ta Ta For Now....

Audra

13 comments:

Anny said...

I like it! I wish I could find these jars at yard sales or thrift shops. I'll make sure to stop if I see any grandma looking sellers ;)

Kate @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating said...

Wow, those are real finds for a buck!! They can be pricey at the "real" stores. I love the snooker balls in it... cute.

I'm working on filling a large one but need some more filler at this point. Will post it if I can get it to look right. ;)

Natasha said...

Wow Audra, you have done well! These things are indeed hard to find and they cost a small fortune too. I am very jealous of your gorgeous collection!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Linda said...

Love how the balls look in that jar!! I bought a jar with old shells in it and it also looked nasty! Cleaned it up and now it is nice. I have found several jars lately but no really big one's.

decorator to the stars said...

IN MINE I PUT, FAUX FRUIT,BOARD GAME PIECES, OLD BUTTONS,GROCERY STORE OLD METAL TAGS, OLD KEYS,SCRABBLE TILES. CANDY (DOESN'T STAY THERE LONG) GIO

Aubrey said...

I love jars! I started putting them around my house too! I have one small one in my bathroom filled with pebbles from my favorite beach in Washington state...I think of good times when I see them :) Thank you for your sweet comments that always cheer me up!

Jan @ bobbypinsboardwalk said...

You did a wonderful revamp of the jar. I like the idea of those balls in there. They really are interesting! Great job!

Christina Rodrigues said...

i love filling these jars with candy :)
have a great week!

Debbie said...

I love them! Use them in several areas of my home and change them out seasonally...they are great for color and interest anywhere in the home! Great price you paid, they run a lot more in the store!~

All My Yesterdays said...

Cool, and I love that you threw out the 70's! I gotta share my *Jar* thing. I have a cousin who didn't want hers anymore so I took them home and spiffed em up a bit. I decided to use the biggest one in my kitchen...go to this blog and then this post..MY OTHER WIN! Then look behind the Cake Book...
They're just fun to have and use for most anything. Keep sharing what you use them for.

Now, are you still wanting to join in the giveaway on my Change in a Bottle blog? Let me know, you have until Sunday night..

Have a great week Audra (:

Betty said...

Beautiful finds...one of my favorite things to buy and cloches...

Blessings...Betty

Adrianna said...

If you have a Hobby Lobby close to your house they have an 80% off sale. I bought 5 12in+ apothecary jars for $7ea. I'm going back today to buy some clear ones for my mom. Love them.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ said...

Hi Audra! Well, this is just further proof that we are kindred spirits!! I am ga ga for apothecary jars!! Truth be told I am (sadly) a glass jar junkie!! I've been collecting for years and have overflowing storage bins holding them. That being said...very few of them are as lovely as these...and dollar bargains at that! You are a woman after my own heart. Thank you so much for sharing these with us!!
Love,
Tracey
x0x