Sunday, February 28, 2010

Favorite Cabinet



It has been a while since I joined in on the fun over at  Happy to Design for Sunday Favorites.  This is Chari's 45th post and the second one I've joined in on.  I need to get better about joining in on this party, it's one of my favorites.
This was one of my earliest posts about my beloved green cabinet.  Tracey McBride had a post on Use What You Have~Ancient Amoires~Vintage Linens.  She asked if anyone else re purposed an piece in the home and I raised my hand.  Since this was an early posting, I thought it deserved another go around.


Originally Posted July 24, 2009

Have you ever had something in one part of your house where it was doing a perfectly good job storing, holding or decorating? Then out of the blue, inspiration hits and you realize that this piece would be perfect in another room? 

This was the case with my vintage cabinet, holding my stereo and cd's in my living room and doing a great job. I was in need of additional space in my kitchen, trying to think how I could create additional storage, my eyes fell upon my cabinet. Moving the cabinet into the corner of my kitchen between the two windows... Voila! Perfection. How I had this piece for four years and not once did I think to put it in my kitchen! It even has lovely fruit decals on the doors that match the french provincial fruit theme. I can't believe I didn't make the switch years ago!


Purchased at my friend Lewis' store Garden Party for $30.00 after waiting for the vendor to put it on sale. This is one of my favorite pieces I own, it is shabby, hard working and easy on eyes. It now has become the focal point of my kitchen.


These shelves provide more storage for all my cook books, misc. small appliances and measuring cups and items too large to fit in my narrow drawers.  All of the baskets have been picked up at yard sales for very little cost.
 
I think my cabinet is happier here in the kitchen.

À tout à l'heure
Audra

8 comments:

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

I need a cabinet like that so bad. I can see why you love your's. So much storage in soft beautiful green.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ said...

Hi Audra!

You know how much I LOVE this cupboard and how you're using it in your kitchen!! So much storage too...for such a bargain price.
Thanks so much for highlighting it for us and provoking more creative thought!!

Love,
Tracey
x0x

Mimi said...

Hi Audra!!!!
I love that vintage looking cabinet too, so distressed and perfect!!!!!
Our AZ bloggers luncheon will be in march or April, trying to secure a date everyone can attend. Would you be ok with it being on a Saturday???? Just wondering, if not it will be on a Friday.
hugs,
jamie

Beth said...

What a great place to store things in the kitchen. I need somthing like that because I seriously lack cabinet space.

Vicki said...

Isn't it amazing how just a move can make such an impact. And so much room...
Enjoy!

Mimi said...

Looks like it was made for the area...great storage piece for a kitchen. I love the idea of putting the little used small appliances on the bottom shelf instead of using precious cabinet space. Makes a great cookbook storage shelf, too.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Audra...

My friend, I was just elated to see you join up for Sunday Favorites this week!!! Thank you for the sweet mention for SF at the beginning of your post...I sure do appreciate that!!!

Now...now...let's talk about this gorgeous green cabinet of yours!!! My friend, I just adore it in all of its shabby chic styling!!! Ohhh...I would love to find a beautiful piece like this for my kitchen...I could really use the extra storage as well! Especially to house a few of my set of dishes (I'm such a dishaholic! Hehe!) Your pretty cabinet is really nice and large...lots of great storage!!! Wow...can't believe that you got this beauty for just $30!!! What a treasure find, my friend! Thank you so much for sharing it with us today for Sunday Favorites...what a sweet treat!!!

Warmest wishes, sweet lady!
Chari @Happy To Design

jennifer said...

I like your cabinet so much! The shabby look is so appealing.

Have a great week!