Living in Arizona, the winter months are filled with an abundance of citrus fruits. Not a week goes by that there aren't lemons, limes, tangerines, grapefruit and oranges sitting in the break room for the taking. If you are fortunate enough to have friends with trees you can luck out with several bags of free citrus. There are often free boxes at yard sales with lemons and grape fruit for the taking.
One of my favorite recipes is Roasted Lemon Herb Chicken from All Recipes website. This makes the most amazingly moist, flavorful chicken ever! I do Stuffed the cavity with the spent lemons, a quartered onion and a few cloves of garlic as one of the commentor posted and it was tres maqnifque! I just mixed all of the seasonings with the oil (doubled for a 5 lb. chicken) and brushed over the chicken. Remember to add another hour to baking when the chicken is stuffed. A three pound chicken took about 2 1/2 hours to bake.
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine the seasoning, salt, mustard powder, garlic powder and black pepper; set aside. Rinse the chicken thoroughly, and remove the giblets. Place chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture inside the chicken. Rub the remaining mixture on the outside of the chicken.
- Squeeze the juice of the 2 lemons into a small bowl or cup, and mix with the olive oil. Drizzle this oil/juice mixture over the chicken. Stuff the inside of the chicken with lemon peels and drizzles more of the mixture inside. I also like to stuff three or four cloves of garlic inside.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours, or until juices run clear, basting several times with the remaining oil mixture.
I am linking ups with
Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays
Tuesdays At The Table
and Balancing Beauty and Bedlam Tasty Tuesday.
Be sure to check out these blogs for more fabulous recipes from other wonderful cooks!