Tuesday, January 12, 2010

When Life Gives You Lemons

 Make lemonade or better yet, juice those lemons and freeze juice for cooking year round.



Living in Arizona, the winter months are filled with an abundance of citrus fruits.  Not a week goes by that there aren't lemons, limes, tangerines, grapefruit and oranges sitting in the break room for the taking.  If you are fortunate enough to have friends with trees you can luck out with several bags of free citrus.  There are often free boxes at yard sales with lemons and grape fruit for the taking. 


One of my favorite recipes is Roasted Lemon Herb Chicken from All Recipes website.  This makes the most amazingly moist, flavorful chicken ever! I do Stuffed the cavity with the spent lemons, a quartered onion and a few cloves of garlic as one of the commentor posted and it was tres maqnifque!  I just mixed all of the seasonings with the oil (doubled for a 5 lb. chicken) and brushed over the chicken.   Remember to add another hour to baking when the chicken is stuffed.  A three pound chicken took about 2 1/2 hours to bake.

Ingredients

  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
  • 2 lemons
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Combine the seasoning, salt, mustard powder, garlic powder and black pepper; set aside. Rinse the chicken thoroughly, and remove the giblets. Place chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture inside the chicken. Rub the remaining mixture on the outside of the chicken.
  3. Squeeze the juice of the 2 lemons into a small bowl or cup, and mix with the olive oil. Drizzle this oil/juice mixture over the chicken. Stuff the inside of the chicken with lemon peels and drizzles more of the mixture inside.  I also like to stuff three or four cloves of garlic inside.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours, or until juices run clear, basting several times with the remaining oil mixture.


I am linking ups with

Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays 



Tuesdays At The Table

and Balancing Beauty and Bedlam Tasty Tuesday.

Be sure to check out these blogs for more fabulous recipes from other wonderful cooks! 


 Bon Appetit!
Audra

13 comments:

decorator to the stars said...

HI THERE, LEMONS ARE MY FAVORITE ESPECIALLY FROM ARIZONA, SOME ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUIT :) A FRIEND USE TO BRING ME SOME, BUT HAS SINCE MOVED :( I GOT YOUR MESSAGE ABOUT THE NECKLACE, WE MUST BE IN SYNC, YOU'LL SEE WHY :) GIO

Liz said...

Yum, I am going to make this tonight. Thanks a bunch fo sharing! Liz -)

Marla at Always Nesting said...

Oh, to have free citrus! I'd just be sooo happy.

I talked to a guy at our local nursery here a few years ago when we first moved to Oregon about planting a dwarf lemon tree. He told me it would have to be in a pot, then brought inside the house and kept in front of a window all winter. Do you know how long our winters are here? Not to mention I would never block any light/sun coming into the house during the winter. LOL, he put out my lemon tree fire real fast.

You are very lucky.

Mimi said...

HI!!!
I love Lemonade!!!
I never thought to save the juice for cooking with!!!!
great idea and recipe!!!!
hugs,
jamie

decorator to the stars said...

AUDRA MY DEAR, I JUST LISTED SOME NEW NECKLACES, TAKE A GANDER :) GIO

Kelli said...

Free fruit would be so sweet!! This sounds like a delicious recipe. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Auntie Cake said...

My mouth is watering! Sounds delicious, wish I had some of those Arizona lemons!!!
Kate

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Yummy!!! I love Chicken and Lemons ... it seems like such a natural pairing!

Vanessa said...

Audra,
What a great blog! I'll have to try that chicken recipe. You'll be a huge hit at bunco if you bring my dip. Have a great day.

Love
Vanessa

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for linking to TMTT this week.

June said...

Audra, it is such a pleasure to meet you and see your awesome place. I love lemon chicken and will definitely try this. I was so interested in hearing about the jeans you found and will look for these (when I rip out my newest pairs) I've heard that these are great jeans.
June

Melissa Miller said...

Yummy sounding recipe Audra!

That is just too cool that we posted almost the exact same recipe on the same day. HeHe! Love it! It is just so beyond tasty for sure.

I feel fantastic these days! Let me know how you do as well. We can encourage each other.
Eating healthy is just so awesome all the way around!

Have a great weekend my friend.
~Melissa :)

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Hi Audra!

I'm going to try that Lemon Herb Chicken! I've never used mustard powder to season a chicken. Thanks!

Manuela