Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Murphy Strikes Again

Last night when I was innocently reheating left over mashed potatoes in the microwave, Murphy and his Law sauntered into my kitchen and wrecked a little havoc.


POW, SNAP, SIZZLE....

That's right.  My 13 year old microwave just gave up the ghost and died.  Right.in.the.middle.of.reheating.  I opened the door thinking that maybe something metal was in there.  Nope. No metal, nothing to short out my lovely microwave.  Funny thing, it still has power, but doesn't heat.  Ah, Microwave chip must have fried.  Why oh Why?

 
Never realizing how dependent I am on a microwave, I had to "reheat" potatoes on the stove, put Fly Guys dinner in the convection oven on "warm" and hope for the best.  The Reluctant Teenager asked me how I was supposed to COOK for them now?  UH, same way I always have.  I don't cook anything but popcorn in the microwave, I only use it to reheat.  But what a wonderful thing that is!  I felt like I was trying to cook with one arm.  I feel NEKID!


I think I will be visiting Target today to get a small microwave until we purchase one that fits above our stove.  Cop out I know, I wish I could tell you that I could survive with out one, I could...but not the Reluctant Teenager and Fly Guy.  They both use it to heat up meals they have missed due to work and school.


I would like to get off Murphy's hit list.


Audra

9 comments:

Beth said...

Sorry :( I'm not a fan of Murphy either!

decorator to the stars said...

OH NO AUDRA, WHATEVER WILL YOU DO,I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, MINE IS SITTING ON TOP OF MY STOVE SO I USE IT FOR EVERYTHING :) GO TO WALMART, I GOT MINE THERE,IT'S A TEMO IT TALKS, YOU CAN PROGRAM IT FOR FRENCH, ENGLISH OR SPANISH, TOO COOL GIO

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ said...

Great story Audra!! I know the feeling. We had no microwave for several years and it's amazing how I became less dependent upon it (using little sauce pans found at thrift shops and yard sales). I did miss if for those little zaps of heat to my chilled coffee and tea cups though!
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x

Audra said...

I know! I really thought about it today and I have decided not to purchase another microwave until we purchase the stove/microwave combo in stainless that we were planning on purchasing in a few months.

I can do this, I can live with out the microwave.

Quilting in My Pyjamas said...

Gee Audra..Murphy is kicking you in the pants the last week or so isn't he? I hope he stops soon. His brother , "The Universe" was giving me a butt whipping last week.

You can live without the microwave! Send Murphy off on holiday somewhere too while you're at it. Surely thats your three for now. (Don't these things come in threes?)

Rhonda in OK said...

Bless your heart! I also think Murphy needs to leave you alone.

and I also second the idea to check out thrift stores or Craigslist for a good deal on a micro.

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

It's funny, the same thing has happened to me, and boy did I ever run out to quickly replace the old one! Now I have a shiney new mirrored microwave named Jessica! She's great!
LOL
I just stumbled upon your blog...I'll follow,,come see me, you're welcome to join me too..ciao!

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

I just had to pop back here and thank you for your outrageous compliment! A RENOIR....go on...STOP!...don't stop!

thanks again...you made my day!

ciao

Designs on 47th Street said...

Oh! It would be very difficult to retrain yourself to reheat without a microwave. We really are dependent on our modern conveniences, aren't we? Sorry for you... :)