Saturday, January 2, 2010

First Yard Sale Of The New Year

One of the bonuses of living in the "desert" is that we have near year round yard sales.  I was not planning on hitting any sales today as I headed to pick up my basket from my co-op this morning.  It was still very dark at 6:45 am and I was not paying attention to yard sale signs, I was excited to see what the first co-op basket of the new year held.


While heading back, still pretty darkish, College Diva spots a yard sale sign...."We should stop".  That was all the encouragement I needed and I turned around, hoping it wasn't an old sign.  No, it wasn't and I picked up a much needed toaster oven, brand new in the box, for College Diva.  $5.00!  Woot Woot!


Next couple of sales, were misses, however the fourth sale, turned out to have some really nice things.  I found these lovelies which I asked the price of.
 
I have a serious love affair for poinsettias!  When I asked for the price, the lady stated that she though another customer was buying the entire box of ornaments for $10.00.  If not, then each ornament was .50 a piece.


The other lady purchased several boxes of lights, tree skirt and some other holiday decor.  She passed on the box of ornaments.  I had done a quick calculation, figuring there had to be atleast 40 or 50 ornaments in this box.  I told the lady she had a deal, I would pay $10.00 for the lot.

 

The box is filled with several types of Santas all Woodland, Nordic and Folk Artsy!  I wanted a new theme for a smaller tree I was planning for the family room/office area.  These are fabulous!

 

Love the little pencil Santa!



 


Stuffed Crescent Santas!  Hand Painted!  I *heart* them!


There were 64 ornaments in all 31 Santas and 33 glass balls in Green, Red, Ivory and Soft Gold.  I am sure I will find many uses for these, maybe I will try my hand at a wreath????


They even came in their own Rubbermaid tote with divided sections.  How fabulous is that?  That breaks down the ornaments for .15 each and the tote for the remainder .40!  Oh, I forgot to mention that the lady also threw in 3 rolls of gold ribbon for free!


SCORE!  
This was even cheaper than the 75% sale that Target has on their Holiday items!


Hope you are enjoying your weekend!


ta ta for now!

Audra

11 comments:

Rhonda in OK said...

very cute ornaments and how cool that they came in a storage box.

we are having a nice weekend but it is so cold here, we still have snow on the ground from the Christmas Eve blizzard and more is coming tonight - I am looking forward to warm weather and yard sale weather

Mimi said...

Good deal, cute Santa ornaments! You are so lucky to be where you can have yard sales in the winter, we won't see that until May, if we thaw out by then! I sure do miss living in Phoenix...and the estate sales in Sun City.

Beth said...

I can not believe you found a yard sale in this freezing cold weather! The high was 29 today! I'm just not made to be out this cold, lOl. But it looks like it paid off for you...you totally scored some great ornaments. Love them!

Marla at Always Nesting said...

Wow, what a deal.

Tara said...

Girl you scored. I love love love santas and you got some very cute ones!!! Happy New year, blessings, Tara

Mimi said...

HI!!!
Great find!!!!
I cannot believe the sales start that early in the winter!!!!
Have a fun week!!!
hugs,
jamie

Anny said...

What a steal! Our yard sales are still months away *sigh*

Twig - Love Your Home said...

Those are really fun!! I am so deprived of yard sales right now...we live in Montana and there is sooo much snow! :)

Lori said...

What a great find! They look good! I'm sure you will find a place for them...

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

Hello Audra~ How fortunate to have gotten so many wonderful ornaments, especially the poinsettia's.
I can't even imagine having warm weather in January for yard sales. It would be wonderful...well, for me, I think my hubby wouldn't like it though,lol.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Chandrika Shubham said...

Cute Santa. I liked the pics very much.
Happy New Year :)