Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Red Jacket

My daughter is a minimalist.  She has always kept a smaller amount of "stuff" than her friends, kept her clutter to a minimum and has sought ways to keep it manageable.  She follows the rule of bring something in, get rid of something, maybe even to an extreme, where she brings in two and gets rid of six or eight things.



College Diva's dorm room this year is smaller than her previous two rooms.  This room was meant to be a single dorm room and it is shared by two girls with limited space.  She decided to cut back on several of her clothing and decorator items in an effort to save space.  As she states, a book bag, shoes and books on the floor make the room look like a complete mess.


She had purchased two jackets two years ago when getting ready to attend NAU.  One black bomber style down jacket and one red parka style jacket.  After nearly three winters in Northern Arizona she found she wore the black jacket more, and could fill in with her pea coat for the rest of the wintry months.   So the red jacket came home and hung in the hall closet.  It made an appearance at the last yard sale, but no one wanted to buy this jacket for $5.00 because we just don't have that type of winter in our area.  Not wanting to donate it just yet, I put it back in the closet and waited hoping someone might need it.



My brother came for a visit the day after Christmas bringing his family.  As they live in Utah, we rarely get to visit them and are always thrilled for the chance to catch up.  He brought his step daughter and her little girl for a visit as well, which was an added bonus as they live out of town and since the divorce we have not seen M very often.  As they got ready to leave, my brother remarked that his step daughter was coming with them to visit for a week, and would probably be moving to Utah later in the spring, as M's home situation had changed when her mother remarried.


I looked over M's hoodie and asked her if she had a jacket.  She indicated that she did, gesturing at her hoodie.  My brother lives in Central Utah, where the temperatures dip to the belows...below ten, below twenty in the winter.  Brrr! That hoodie was not going to keep her warm against the Utah winter. I had College Diva get the Jacket out of the closet to see if M might be interested.   I was not prepared for the reaction.  Not only did M love the jacket, it was her favorite color and fit her perfectly. She stood there in shock, she had seen one like it before, but not having $80.00 to purchase it she had been making due with the hoodie.  I wish I had taken a picture of her and this jacket, it was such a wonderful moment. 


These are the moments in life that I live for, when something that is no longer needed by someone is passed on to another person who needs it, wants it or desires it.  That feeling of joy and relief.  The knowledge that someone is better off because you were able to help.  What a wonderful feeling.

ttfn....

Audra

9 comments:

Rhonda in OK said...

awww, that is such a sweet story, thanks for sharing

Mimi said...

Hi Audra!!!!
Both of our daughters attended and graduated from NAU!!!! I love it up there!!!! I spent more time in those dorm rooms then should be allowed!!!!haha, luckily there dorm mates were great friends and didn't mind me staying for a few days or at Spring break a week!!!! My girls had jobs up there sometimes and couldn't get home real often, so I would go there!!!!! I know exactly which dorm rooms you are speaking of, my oldest, lived in a dorm for all 4 years, you are talking about Mountain View right??? The Sorority dorm?????Our second daughter bounced back and forth from dorm life to apartment life, and it took her 5 years to complete an education major, and our first daughter finished dental hygiene in 4!!!! What is up with that!!!!What a GREAT story about the red coat!!!! I just about cried!!!!! It will be great friend that coat to her in Utah!!!!!
Yes, I hope we can get a lunch together soon!!! Maybe in Feb., I will let you know!!! There is close to 20 of us here in the Valley area!!!!!
Happy New Year!!!!
hugs,
jamie

Beth said...

I agree w/Rhonda's comment: that IS a sweet story :) The feeling of being able to help someone when they need is great.

Mimi said...

I love stories like this...both the gifter and the giftee are happy!
Happy New Year to you and yours!

Linda said...

It was meant to be given to her and for you to give it. Karma works that way! Great story and so sweet!

Musings From A French Cottage said...

What a beautiful story! I love hearing things like this. Thank you for sharing it and have a wonderful day!

Happy New Year to you!!
~Kathleen

Marla at Always Nesting said...

Love the story. I believe the act of giving truly blesses the giver.

Chari said...

Hello Audra...

Ohhh...such an endearing story, my friend! It just made my heart sing!!! There's nothing better than the gift of giving!!!

I just read the sweet note that you left for me on my "Year in Tablescapes" post. I'm so happy that you stopped in for a visit and really enjoyed your sweet note...thank you!!! It has been such a pleasure meeting you and getting acquainted, sweet friend! I too, am looking forward to all the great things that the New Year promises!

Sending you my very best wishes and blessings for a fabulous New Year...may the Lord richly bless you and your family...with all that you have need of!!!

Love ya,
Chari @Happy To Design

Nishant said...

I spent more time in those dorm rooms then should be allowed!!

Work from home India