Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ramshackle Manger

Why would I dig a manger out of the garbage at an Estate sale in Sedona, Arizona?  I know that the woman who threw it away kept asking me the same question.  She tried to sell me a nativity set from Italy for $75.00 (oh it were so pretty too!)

Why?  Because I guess my remodeling diva saw potential.

I wanted to do an Extreme Makeover, Manger style.

To Recycle it?


Maybe because I just hated the thought of baby Jesus being tossed away.


Yep.  Baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, all Three Wisemen, Shepherd and Six stray sheep, one contented cattle and a burned out, has been cord with Christmas light attached.


All of it in the trash just begging, pleading for me to pick it out.  So I did.  I even told the lady I would give her $5.00 for it.  She declined.  I rejoiced.


I wasn't kidding.  This place is a hot mess, dilapidated broke down roof, in fact the manger came in two pieces.  All that was missing was the condemned sign. 


Some well meaning soul tried to fix it....with staples.  Sixteen staples to be exact.
 
Don't ask...I can't begin to tell you what they were thinking.


The figurines are hand painted, made in Japan, probably early 60's, made of chalk ware or plaster.\


I really just wanted the figurines.  I took the manger because I felt funny leaving it in the trash.
I know, I get funny like that at times.



 


Besides, there is really a "flock" of sheep.  Seven if you count the one on the shepherds shoulders.
I am loving the lambs...



Entire manger and figurines...See what I mean, could you have left this in the TRASH??? 

The pole by Mary is a real tree limb.  (Who does that these days? Uh, no one.)


  I am hoping with some hot glue, an angel, camel or three and some lighting we might have a manger.  Or maybe not, but I am going to give it my best DIY makeover possible.  Linking up with Reinvented Trash To Treasure Tuesday and Kimba at A Soft Place To Land DIY Blog Party



To be continued....

Audra

12 comments:

Susan in SC said...

How nice of you to save the Holy family and sheep from the trash!

Natasha said...

Good on you Audra. I am sure you will turn this sad old thing into a treasured, beautiful and Holy Nativity set. I can't wait to see the finished product!
Best wishes, Natasha.

Liz said...

Hi Audra!

You are such a lovely writer. I'm glad you saved this nativity set and I can't wait to see the finished project. I know you will make it look splendid!

Happy Holidays!

Liz =)

Beth said...

NO - I couldn't have left that in the trash either. It may not be the prettiest or most expensive nativity set, but it's what it represents.

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Audra! I'm so glad you saved the Nativity - I'm anxious to see the final outcome, I know it will be special just because of what it represents!

Aubrey said...

Can't wait to see what you do with it! I wouldn't have left it in the trash either. I'd like to find a manger seen one day myself! Good Luck with your remodeling! :) Oh, I love your son's name!

Kelli said...

Hope to see what you can do with it soon!!!

Rhonda said...

Hi Audra,
Thanks for stopping by and visiting this morning! That is some serious trash to treasure you've got there, love it!
Have a great weekend!

Lori said...

Glad you saw the potential! You have your work cut out for you!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

I love it! I really reminds me of one my mom has that was her family's when they were little! I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Melissa Miller said...

You are amazing to see the potential Audra! How sweet of you to do this. It's GORGEOUS!

Many blessings to you my friend.
~Warmly, ~Melissa :)

Betty said...

You are a girl after my heart....I couldn't leave them there either...

Blessings to you and yours...Betty