Monday, December 14, 2009

Mmm, Mmm Good

Soup, it does the body good!  In an effort to keep up with the frugal life style, I have taken on the challenge to use leftovers in other meals, as not to waste or toss them.  That is a major pet peeve of mine...food going to waste.

I didn't think to photograph the ingredients before I put them in the pot to make Cheddar Vegetable Soup.

College Diva wanted to have Cheddar Broccoli Soup which is an all time favorite of hers and since she is home for the next month, I wanted to spoil , uh treat her to her favorite dishes.  Using the leftover steamed broccoli from last nights dinner, some steamed carrots from Saturdays dinner and the mashed potatoes from last night as well.  Tossed in the left over gravy (about half a cup) with 1/2 cup of half and half, 1 cup of water and 1 cup of shredded cheese (left over from Friday nights meal).  I came up with Cheddar Veggie Soup, simply delicious and satisfying.





Anyone else out there just toss things together in a hodge podge sort of way?  My mother was wonderful at doing that, making something out of nothing and it tasted amazing.  I think I may have a little bit of her ingenuity.


Ta Ta For Now, Mes Amies...




Audra

5 comments:

Marla at Always Nesting said...

Oh, that looks so good. I love creating and recreating from my fridge and pantry. Lucky for me my hubby will eat anything.

Beth said...

Looks good! I love a pot of homemade soup...reminds me of my mama who makes the best soup.

Rhonda in OK said...

your soup looks delicious!
our college boy - well, he is 27 and in law school - is home for a month. He takes care of all our leftovers while he is here.

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ said...

That looks delicious!! I agree...soup is one of my favorite ways to use leftovers!! I have never tried it with the cheese, however, so you have definitely sparked my imagination. Thanks so much for sharing.
Warmly,
Traceyxox

Mimi said...

The soup looks delicious! Isn't it nice to spoil a child once in awhile! I love using leftover vegetables in a fritatta, if I am not putting them into soup...