Thursday, November 19, 2009

Recession Inspired Decorating

I would not be the Frugal Missus if I didn't post about cheap, frugal, tightwad, recession decoration for the holiday.  Though I am a  bit tardy in decorating or even blogging about decorating, but life had other plans. Not to be deterred I picked up a few things and re purposed a few others and VOILA, frugal fall decor. 


With little time and even less money, I decided to decorate with the remainder of a Hobby Lobby gift card and ten dollar rebate check I received.  (I think of these as my mad money, I get to do what ever I want with them...)


Forgive me as I didn't shoot these pictures full on as I am getting ready for the yard sale and there is STUFF, everywhere in my house.  Doesn't make for a great background, y'know?


For the entry way table, I picked up these Pumpkins at Hobby Lobby for 75% off.  No prices, so I HUNTED down a poor guy garbed in a blue vest and had him price them.  That's right, I was a woman on a mission and I had $18.23 to spend.



I could have walked away with loads and LOADS of stuff from Hobby Lobby.  It is the single most satisfying shopping experience this girl has had, bar none!  I truly love this place.  Since I am paring down, I chose carefully,  for $8.50 these were burgundy pumpkins were M.I.N.E!  They have a gold/bronze wash which makes my heart race a bit when I look at them!



The rest of the table is decorated in items I had around the house.  I re purposed the greenery that was headed out to the yard sale, and added the wrought iron piece back in.  I picked this up at the church thrift store, you can read about it here.



Next up is a bowl of acorns that I also found at HL.  I have wanted some acorns, but they don't grow here so I made do with these "knock offs".  Regularly $2.47 each, down to .62 each.  I bought nine of them, one is missing because my fur baby Ludo thinks they are toys.  The bowl was a yard sale find earlier this year for a dollar! 



Cornucopia was a 6.00 Goodwill find.  I have wanted one for the longest time, just never could find a sizable one in my price range.  Found this a few months back and snagged it!  I had wanted to put decorative gourds in it, but I couldn't find them in a reasonable price range this year.  Last year Walmart had them in a bag for $1.50 mark down so I picked up two bags and decorated with them.  I gave them to a friend to use for her Thanksgiving decor when I went out of town.  They were a hit.
This year I decided on the harvest of pears.  I got the idea from Chari at Happy To Design, a lovely lady who regularly inspires me!  



Books tied with left over ribbon from last year, along with two fall sprigs I picked up for .33 each at Michaels.  I also picked up a few other larger sprigs that I put in this wreath.





Put them together and this is what I came up with....  This is my first ever attempt to craft a wreath, I was surprised how nice it turned out!



I changed out the Halloween trees in these urns and added dried willow branches.  I picked up the silver/gold pumpkin at Target for .99 cents (90% off).  The stem was missing but I asked the associates that were restocking the shelves if they had seen one, and sure enough they found it in a basket of "trash" and broken items!  The berry garland also was a Smith and Hawkins 90% mark down, from Target.  $2.49 each!

I still have a few dollars on my Hobby Lobby gift card, maybe I will use it for the 90% mark down or wait until the Christmas mark downs!


I hope you enjoyed my Recession inspired decorating, it just goes to show that you can have eye catching holiday decor without breaking the bank. I have linked up with Leigh at Tales from Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday, Kimba at A Soft Place To Land for DIY and Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday, check out what these other Frugal, Crafty Mavens have come up with.


Ta-Ta-For Now...

Audra

23 comments:

Kelli said...

I love all that you bought and how you used it in your home!!!

Linda said...

Love the pumpkins...great buy you got there! Thanks for coming by for a visit...please come back again. Happy Thanksgiving!

Blessings,
Linda

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

Very pretty decor and I love the frugalness of it all!

Rosie@Journey to Charm said...

Oh, my, you are so sensible and still a designing diva. The pumpkins are beautiful. You inspire me.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Wow! Great work. It all looks so festive!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your decorations look great. You did get some great deals! Love HL!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

what great purchase! all look so worth buying.. and the vignettes so pretty..

Chari said...

Hi Audra...

My friend, I love, love, LOVE all of your fabulous Fall decor!!! Ohhh...I love the burgandy pumpkins...I didn't see any that color at our Hobby Lobby, I would have gotten a few...they're just the right color for my dining room! Anyway...they look fabulous in that beautiful Autumn vignette...so very pretty!!! Love the pretty leaves that you saved back from your yard sale too...they really make a pretty combo! Your Autumn wreath...gorgeous! You did a beautiful job with it....I love all the pretty autumn berries to decorate with!

Girl, now I was just looking at all of your beautiful photos and reading along when I came to your pretty cornucopia full of pears! I actually thought...oh, look...someone else is decorating with pears for Autumn! Then I read what you wrote and was sooo surprised! Aren't you a sweetheart! Thank you for the sweet mention...you just made my day, my friend!!! But I must say...that it is YOU who inspires me...you do so many great things and I love your frugality...and...I love your cornucopia full of Autumn pears...gorgeous!!!

Ohh...I just giggled when I read about your shopping trip to Hobby Lobby! You made out like a bandit with all of your treasures! Girl, I never pay full price for anything from that store! They are always pretty good about having some great discounts...love it!

Well Darlin'...I really enjoyed all of your Autumn finery!!! Thank you for sharing your creativity and talents with us...

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Hootin' Anni said...

Beautiful!!! Everything!!! I love the old world charm of it all.

Mine is up. Just Dollar Store Finds for the Holidays this week. Click Here

Leann said...

Those burgundy pumpkins are a terrific find. You must have been thrilled. I loved hearing about all of your wonderful "priced just right" finds.

Have a wonderful day!

Leann

Sheila said...

What great choices you made. Those acorns are adorable. Love the wreaths as well. Your decor may be bought for very little but it looks like a million.

Patti said...

I really like the books tied with a sprig and ribbon....so simple, but lovely!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Love the acorns! Actually, I like everything you have!!! Thanks for linking up at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Libbie said...

Wow...you did good! Wish we had a Hobby Lobby nearby! Great idea for a blog! I have to keep stopping by!

Sandi@ My Yellow Door said...

Love the pumpkins! You did a great job on your wreath! I love crafting wreaths too. Happy Friday!

Blessings,
Sandi

Ally0005 said...

Love your wreath! You did a great job on all your decorations.

Ally

Lora said...

Great bargains! I love your pumpkins from HL~of course, I love just about everything about HL:)

Alma-Zulema said...

Hi! Thanks so much for dropping by! I must say I love those burgundy pumpkins. Your entryway table looks gorgeous! We don't have Hobby Lobby in my neck of the woods, so consider yourself lucky! :)

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

Hi Audra!
Great deals! Thanks for linking up this week to Thrifty Thursday! Have a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving. Thanks for being a Bloggeritaville friend!!!I am thankful for you!
Hugs!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

The Queen of Clearance. said...

I got the wreath and the wooden acorns too!!! good deals!

LouLou@thelifeofloulou.blogspot.com said...

I am a HL fanatic, but I did NOT see those acorns...You know I'm going tomorrow....Glass is 50% off again this week, so I'm gonna get stuff to make more hurricanes for Christmas gifts...Thanks for the comment on my blog....When I saw that ironstone for $100 I almost passed out. Cold. I still pinch myself when I walk in my kitchen and see it!
hugs,

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I love seeing frugal decorating. And yours is fabulous!!! I just wish we had a Hobby Lobby in southern California. They seem to have such deals! Thanks for sharing your decor.

Pearl Maple said...

Well done, you have styled a fabulous decor with your creative eye. Goes to show how a bit of inspiration can go far.