Sunday, November 15, 2009

Getting back into the swing of things....

First let me say, Thank You for your kind comments and prayers during the College Diva's unfortunate bout with illness.  After two surgeries less than two weeks apart, we are praying that she is on the road to recovery and will not have to visit the ER or hospital any time soon!


With that out of the way....Yes, I am back home, taking some much needed time to get the house back in order and take care of the MANY neglected chores that went unnoticed in my absence. (My men like to forget that the dishwasher isn't just for storing dirty dishes.)

I decided to DEEP clean the kitchen and sort through refridgerator and pantry, organizing and taking stock.  The freezer had to be rearranged to hold the two turkey's I bought for less than $5.00 each.  I KNOW! Say it with me...FRUGAL SCORE.  Also found Boneless Top Roast for $1.88 a pound.  OMG!  I was doing the happy dance right there in the meat aisle.  Picked up Four Roasts for less than $20.00 for 12 pounds and had two of them diced up into stew meat.  Another frugal tip, why pay full price for chopped up meat, when you can by roast on super sale and have the meat dept cut it up for you for FREE!


On to the dreaded refrigerator.  I shudder when I think about the extreme state it was in, A hot MESS.  After two weeks of neglect there were lots of left overs and veggies to toss.  That always makes me furious, to waste food, even if I wasn't around to make sure it didn't go to waste.  Still steams me.

On to the pantry, where I organized, cleaned and took sock of what I have.  I am going to make a master list of dry and canned goods so I always have an idea of what I have and what I need.
 Great news is, I have purchased enough bulk flour and baking supplies that I shouldn't have to purchase anything but sugar if it's on sale for less than a dollar for 4 or 5 pounds.  Keeping my dry pantry stocked is both economical and stress reducing.  Less trips to the store, means less overspending on my part.  I also noticed since I shop less, use fresh vegetables and less processed food, that I have more room in my pantry.  I decided to stop purchasing pre-made side dishes and boxed meals in an effort to produce great tasting wholesome meals for my family.  Check out the Thifty Groove, she has some excellent recipes here.

This is NOT my pantry...This is my DREAM pantry. You know I would have stuff up on the tippy top shelf and still have to get the step stool, ahem, ladder out to reach!


 
Pantry by Organizing Options, LLC.



The smaller cabinets where I keep my teas and larger spices have to be seriously overhauled.  Since I am short, 5'3...It's hard for me to get anything more than two shelves up.  I am going to remedy that by putting the most used items on the two lower shelves and the less used items higher.  Seems I am always dragging out the stool to reach those items.  The new system should be a frugal time saver.


After I get the kitchen done, I am going to enjoy a REAL HOME COOKED MEAL.  WOOT WOOT!  No more hospital, take out or fast food for me!  I also picked up The Ugly Truth and will watch it after dinner to wind down before starting the work week.


Happy Sunday Everyone!





Audra

6 comments:

Beth said...

Glad to hear everything is getting back to 'normal.' I would love to have a pantry like that!

Alicia said...

Welcome back! You've just been one busy little bee haven't you? I became exhausted just reading...lol.

But it's good to have everything organized. Thanks for following my blog!

Lori said...

You have been busy! This is the 1st time I'm coming over! I love your blog! It's great!

Hope your diva stays healthy!

Heidi said...

Hello Audra! Thanks for visiting my blog. I am sorry to hear about your daughter's illness. I hope she is recovered and life is back to normal for her very soon.

Hugs ~
Heidi

aubrey said...

Well You've been productive depsite what you've been through! I hope yall are on your way to good health now! Awesome deals on your meats! Way to go! ~aubrey

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower. I always love to make new friends. I love the pictue of the pantry that you show, that would definitely be my dream pantry too. I just have a regular closet and it's just some shelves, nothing to write home about, but at least it holds all the food we need, so I am grateful for that. I hope you have a super Holiday. Hugs, Marty