Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Super Frugal Halloween Trees

These past few weeks have been hectic so I haven't completed my decorating for Halloween.  Inspired by all of the spooky Halloween trees I have seen around the blogosphere (sorry I forgot to save the links so I could give you credit!) I decided to give it a try.


First I needed twigs...uh, having desert landscaping doesn't yield many twisty branches, although I did think about spray painting the cactus black!  (bet the HOA would fine me for a life time!)  I located a great source for these branches,one itsy-bitsy-tiney-tiny problem.  Still attached to the tree and about 9 feet off of the ground.  I am only 5'3 ish so...not happening.


While visiting family in Northern Arizona, inspiration hit me like a MAC Truck!  I didn't need to forage for my branches, my uncle had trimmed the trees on his property and had TONS of branches just waiting to be burned.  Selecting a few promising ones I stuffed them in my car and headed home.

I took a pile of branches....








and turned them into THESE!



I should have taken pictures of the steps in the middle,  but my camera was in need of a charge.  Here's a list of what I used:

Three cans of cheapo Walmart spray paint ($3.00)
One Dollar Store Floral Foam Brick cut in half ($1.00)
A tiny bit of Spider web floss ($1.00 for the bag)
Repurposed Spanish Moss from a floral display I saved from the office trash (FREE) 
Urns ($4.00 for the pair at a yard sale)
Spiders/Rats (FREE from my stash of stuff)
Skeleton heads (Free..sort of, they came from the insert from BONES Season 4)
Table Scarf (FREE! a wool scarf I was given as a gift several years ago!)



Voila!  Not to shabby for my first attempt! They are really impressive when you walk in the door!  

Did I mention the Mister doesn't like HATES Spiders? Sorry honey!


This tree is ready for it's close up...




 
Remember these guys?  Found them at a yard sale.  

With the left over branches, I crafted another "tree", for this pesky fella.

Another yard sale urn and a few landscape rocks from the yard.  The vulture came from a yard sale...I think he was $3.00.  Kind of spooky, but the Mister loves it!



I hope you enjoyed my trees.  I got to get busy and finish decorating! I am linking up with Kimba at A Soft Place To Land DIY Day and Reinvented: Trash to Treasure Tuesday.



Ta-Ta For Now....

Audra

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

very creative trees! You can spray paint the branches brown and make a thanksgiving tree as well! Thank you for visiting my blog.And thank you for the inspiration!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Love your Halloween decor! I'm sure those trees make quite an impression, a scary one! :)
Thanks for linking up.

Condo Blues said...

I'm digging the vulture. Spooky!

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Audra,
It's so nice to meet you! I really appreciate your visit to my blog and that you are following along as well. Thank you! I'll do the same. I can tell I'm going to get lots of inspiration from your beautiful blog. The Halloween trees are so adorable. Great idea!

Many Blessings and Happy Fall! ~Melissa :)

Mrs. G said...

Hi Audra,
Thanks for coming by and following my blog. Your Halloween trees are really cute and creative, great idea.
Hugs,
Sue

Liz said...

I agree, the Halloween trees are a great idea and very unique. Love your yard sale finds...too cute!

Thanks for the nice comments on my kitchen. How's the painting coming along in your kitchen? I can't wait to see pictures.

Hugs,

Liz

Patsy said...

Audra, I love your Halloween trees. Very creative!! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I am glad your daughter is better. Have a grat and blessed day!!!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries TM said...

Hi Audra! Beautiful autumn/Halloween decorations...especially love the twigs in the urn...so clever and frugal! Thanks so much for sharing.
Warmly,
Tracey

The Queen of Clearance. said...

that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cool! i am soooo doing this!

Audra said...

You should, this had all the steps I look for in crafting...Cheap, Easy and Fun! Frugal Fun to be exact!