Monday, October 12, 2009

My weekend away...

Friday was a rough day at work.  

The company I work for is struggling due to excess over the past five or so years and now is in Chapter 11.  In the meeting "they" advised us our family owned grocery store chain is on life support and we are in the fight to keep the company afloat.  I guess they figured that would soften the blow when they separated us into groups, salaried and hourly.  Then the bomb was dropped...
Pay cut...
Cutting your pay 5% for hourly....
10 % for salaried...
2 % for the staff in the stores
20% for the Corporate Officers and Owners....


This on top of taking away our vision coverage, making us pay for dental (77.00 a month), raising the employee contribution another $20.00 a week, now $50.00 a week, raising the deductable, prescription co-pay and stopping contributions to our 401k.  Not to mention that earlier this year they froze the pension plan.  Did I mention they revoked the telecommute days?  Adds another 170 miles to my commute.


I know corners have to be cut, but we are talking about people who have not had a raise in seven years, a cost of living raise in four and now with the MR. and I both employed by the company we are out another $400.00 a month. 


Breathe.... I have a job.  Still employed unlike the other 80 people let go on Thursday and Friday, my boss one of them.


I . AM. STILL. EMPLOYED....For now. 


With a heavy heart and lots of prayers for our company and my family, I headed out of town to Cottonwood.  I grew up here. I graduated High School here, I have roots here.  My Aunt and Uncle have a home near the Verde River and I love to visit.  Nothing fancy, just home.  It's where the Mister and I were married two years ago, in the side yard with the Pecan trees and grape vines.  It's where I feel the closest to my mother, I feel her spirit all around me.


The Reluctant Teenager had the week off last week so I took him up there last Friday on my way to visit my daughter for the Mother's pinning ceremony.  This Friday I headed back up North to pick him up, stay the weekend visiting and enjoying the weather.


How could I be depressed or sad with this view every morning?




Or looking at the tree where my cousins built a tree house, that I spent hours imagining to be a penthouse home, pirate ship, a member of The Swiss Family Robinson or a tower to rival Rapunzel's.  I have memories, fond, loving memories here and this is where I went to lick my wounds.



Visiting with family always does a body good, especially if you can celebrate the one year birthday of a cousins grandson.  Peyton is a bubbly love of a boy and I would have pictures of him but the camera was tired and I forgot the charger!  DANG IT!


Will you settle for the caauutest home made birthday cake ever?  Ok, maybe I am just a wee bit biased!  




Made with 13 x 9 sheet cake, lamb cake with the face cut off and bagels for the wheels!  Darling little pull toy cake and best of all is it was FREE!  My cousin, her sister, my Aunt and I all had the items needed to make this cake for NADA...No pennies, dollars or cents!   I am linking up with Cheri at It's So Very Cheri Knock Off, Knock Out Party!  I think he is definitely a knock off from a fancy bakery don't you?



It was nummy-yummo and everyone had the best time enjoying the cool air and celebrating Peyton's birthday and his momma engagement to a wonderful young man!  She will also be married in the side yard, just as I did, just as her Aunt did.  Full circle.


ttfn...


Audra

10 comments:

Kelli said...

Praying for peace in tough times. Definitely makes you lean on God!!

Alicia said...

Audra,
I can so sympathize with you. I too spend everyday saying, "At least I have a job, at least I have a job". We have to count our blessings, however small they might seem.

Rhonda in OK said...

love the cake and stories about your family and home town
but am so very sorry about your employer and that situation.

it's a good thing you are the frugal missus.

Aubrey said...

What a cute birthday cake! I'm really sorry to hear about your job situation! Will definitely be praying you and your family for sure!

HOPE said...

This is Aubrey's mom...Hi there!

I too am so sorry to hear of the job situation and will also pray for you.

Since you like French things...maybe you would enjoy my attempt at French Country homemade curtains at my A Creative Heart Blog...you can find it on my profile.

Such a blessing to read of your postive outlook inspite of your situation and seeing the things and people around you that are important.

HOPE

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

I'm very sorry to hear about the news of the cuts at work. I can relate.

But, that cake is too CUTE!! Very nice job!

The Queen of Clearance. said...

that cake is really cute. I am really sorry about your work troubles. That really does stink, but it is positive to think that you do still have a job while others do not.

Audra said...

Thank you all for you wonderful comments. I realize that I am extremely fortunate to still have a position in this company especially after four rounds of lay offs. I continue to hope and pray that we will survive and come out of this a stronger company. If not, I know the Lord has a different path for my husband and I to follow.

ttfn....

Gretchen said...

I'm so sorry about your job. I got laid off this Spring 8 days after I had knee replacement surgery. I will be thinking of you and your husband and praying that you find something else. I try to always remember there are people much worse off than us and to appreciate each day we have. It sounds like you have a good attitude too.

Gretchen

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I'm so sorry. I recently had the experience of company layoffs- it's very stressful and scary. I hope that you can keep up the positive attitude.