Monday, October 19, 2009

A Few Of My Favorite Things....



As I go through my house paring down the excess and re-discovering items I have packed away and forgotten, I realize I am fortunate to live in a state where we can yard sale year round.  I have been blessed to pick up some wonderful items for little out of pocket cost.


Here are a few of my favorite things in the kitchen and all of them were five dollars or less. 


Spice cabinet.  Picked up at a yard sale for $5.00.  I saw potential, the seller thought it was ugly and asked what I was going to do with it.  Put on the spot I said, "Spices" and as I walked off she remarked to her friend "I should have thought of that!".   Sorry for the glare, couldn't figure out how not to get that in the picture!

Still the same blue as when I bought it, maybe I will paint it, maybe not.  Perfect size for several of my spices. 



Next up is the FREE Cookie Jar my friend Sandra gave to me.  She had it in her kitchen and I admired it, saying how similar the colors of my kitchen were to this.  She said "Take It, I am not using it". 


  What a great friend, what an amazing jar!


These are the canisters I found for $3.00 at a yard sale a few months back.  The price tag on the bottom read $87.50.  Talk about STICKER SHOCK.  I love them and the fruit motif goes with my kitchen.  Forgive the missing outlet plate, I am about to start the THIRD coat of paint in this kitchen.  Dark Bordeaux.  I love it!
 

Portuguese Majolica plates and bowl I picked up for $5.00 from an Estate Sale, most of the items were WAY out of my league however I spotted these and grabbed them up!  WOOT WOOT!




Small Crock found at yard sale for $1.00!  Perfect holder for cooking utensils.  I just love yard sales, don't you!

I had to show you a portion of my cookbook collection.  Most of these have been purchased for $2.00 or less at various yard sales and the likes.  I lurve cookbooks!
 

When looking about my home I realize that very little has been purchased at retail stores or for retail prices.  I love yard sales and the thrill of the hunt.  No matter what my budget is, I love the hunt and you never know what you might find.  Like this darling "caddy" I picked up last weekend while out of town visiting my family. 




 Here it is with a few glasses in it.  Both my Aunt and the lady hosting the yard sale wanted to know what I planned to do with it...I said,"Uh, put in glasses or condiments when I serve dinner on the patio".  The next thing they wanted to know if I was going to paint it.  QUEL HORROR!  SACRILEGE!  I shelled out .75 cents for this beauty!

 


I love the chippy green, it has character and a history not found in retail items.


Thanks for viewing a few of my favorite things.  I am linking this post to Chari's site.  Stop by and see what others have found, repurposed, reclaimed and loved.  Thanks for stopping by.



ttfn....

Audra


8 comments:

Rhonda in OK said...

the yard sales have just about stopped in my state till spring - but my town has 5 nice thrift stores I can visit this fall and winter.

esp. like your spice cabinet.

aubrey said...

I LOVE your spice cabinet...I say leave it the beautiful blue it is! I would like to find a caddy like that...cute! Great finds! And I'm drooling over all your cookbooks! :)

Mimi said...

Audra, you have found some real treasures, especially the little cabinet you have your spices in. I really enjoy it when I can see how others repurpose their finds.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi Audra!

I LOVE those plates!

The Queen of Clearance. said...

great finds! That little cabinet is very cute! I would paint it...unless the room you have it in is blue?

Blondie said...

Love your blog! I am now following you! Wonderful ideas...have a great weekend. Kori xoxo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Nice finds - thanks for sharing. The cabinet will be pretty black.

Chari said...

Hi Audra...

My friend, so happy to have you join us for Sunday Favorites again this week...I LOVE this post! I don't know...I get just about as excited looking at everyone's treasure finds...as I do treasure seeking! Hehe! You're absolutely right...it's the thrill of the hunt and finding such great treasures for a bargain price...just sweetens the deal!

You found some really great items! I love your spice cabinet...it's beautiful and what a great place for all your spices! Well...I just love all of your treasure finds...especially like those fabulous Majolica plates!!! Girl, you made off like a bandit with those!

Thank you so much for sharing all of your fabulous treasure finds with us today...I'm so happy for you! Enjoy!!!

Hope that you're having a super Sunday, my friend!
Chari