Wednesday, October 7, 2009

EGGSTRODINARY!

I know, I know, the title is a bit "cheesy" but I am thrilled to have found six dozen ORGANIC, CAGE FREE, BROWN, EGGS for .99 a dozen.  The great part was I had two coupons for $1.00 off one dozen making my grand total $4.00 for $24.00 worth of eggs!  I love organic eggs, I haunt the dairy aisle in search for marked down eggs.  I really do, every time I go to the store I am hunting the reduced stickers like a fiend!  If they have them I will buy EVERY marked down package they have.  


Why?  Well...I brown bag the Misters breakfast and his lunch.  Yep...  Every weekend, I scramble eggs for the Misters breakfast burritos, which cost aprox. .50 to .75 cents a piece.  Before we married, he was buying the yucky pre-fabricated burritos from the convience store for $1.69.  Six days a week.  Now I can make ten burritos for less that $6.00.  Two weeks worth of burritos!  WOOT WOOT!



I usually scramble most of the eggs I buy and then freeze them.  I read you can freeze the egg yolks if you put some sugar or salt in them.  Didn't work for me, they were a gelatinous mess, not pretty and what a waste.  So, I scramble the eggs and put them in containers for the next weeks burritos or a quick breakfast sandwich. The remainder of the eggs will be used for weekend breakfasts, cooking, baking and salads.






Store bought tortillas....99 to 1.79 for ten tortillas.  One day soon I will start making my own!  Cut down the cost even more.


Can of green chilies....40 cents.  (I saved my lovely chilies I roasted for my Mexican dishes!)


Cheese....99 to 1.50.  This cheese was on sale for $1.88 and I had a coupon for $1.00 off.  Ordinarily I will just grate cheese I have frozen.


Splash of milk.  Hard to equate cost for a splash...
Dozen eggs, usually .99 to $1.50 a dozen.  
1/2 of chopped onion. .15 to .20 cents.


I like to put left over bacon, sausage, or ham in the burritos, along with fried potatoes if I have some from weekend breakfast.  



I didn't take pictures of my end product as I had already rolled them up and froze them.  This weeks burritos cost me less than $3.00 for ten!  Thirty cents a burrito and they are better for the Mister than the cancer-causing-lizzard-fat convience store wanna be burritos any day!


I love the frugal life and hope I inspire you to try brown bagging the breakfast!


ttfn...


Audra

14 comments:

Gwen said...

YOU.ARE.MAKING.ME.HUNGRY. I want one right now and I just happen to have like 3 dz cage free in the fridge right now!

Aubrey said...

Cool beans! I should totally make these for my mister! :) I already make my own tortillas...happy to hand you the recipe...they're so delish!!!

REbekah said...

Sounds super yummy!!!

Mimi said...

What a deal on the eggs, sure can't beat that! Your burritos sound delish.

Angie said...

You are just too good! What great deals! You have some really cute Halloween decorations. Please feel free to get any ideas from my blog you want. That's why I blog girl! Giving and definitely getting ideas! Have a great weekend!!!

Liz said...

YUM-O!! Thank for sharing this. I am suddenly hungry! ;)

Have a wonderful weekend! Liz

P.S. Thank you for the nice comments on my blog! =)

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

HI Audra!
It's so nice to meet you! Glad you came by and said "hi!". I really enjoy meeting new people and being introduced to new blogs! Frugality is one of my quests as well. We do pretty well, could do better, but we're working on it. I need to ask you a question. When you freeze your scrambled eggs, do you just reheat them in the microwave? New you need to add water to moisten them? I make my hubbs burritos too but only buy the eggs as I need them for fear of waste. If I could freeze I could take advantage of the sales too! Thanks so much!

Jane @ Finding Fabulous said...

Don't you love getting deals like this...there's nothing better! Oh, and those burritos sound yummo!

Mimi Sue said...

I try to buy cage free eggs too. They are kind of expensive you got a great deal. Thanks for coming by saying hello. I'll be back. Mimi

The Queen of Clearance. said...

i have never heard of anyone freezing eggs! I was like "what is she going to do with all of those eggs? No I know....i might have to try it too!

Wendy said...

Awesome deal! I actually had to BUY eggs recently. My girls stopped laying!

Denise said...

I just made a batch of breakfast tacos the other week after seeing someone post on a blog how to do it and freeze them :) I'm gonna make more today. I use Jimmy Dean reduced fat sausage and sometimes wholewheat tortillas too.

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) said...

Wow, Audra...that's amazing! You saved a ton on making burritos! That was such a great deal on organic eggs. You are definitely one frugal missus!

I like making double batches when I cook, so I can freeze half. When I have a busy day and don't feel like cooking, it's nice to pull something homemade out of the freezer.

Jane

Ashlee said...

Great Finds! I love marked down things!! Thanks for visiting my blog!!