Thursday, October 29, 2009

Awesome Thift Store Finds 10/29

While waiting for the Reluctant Teenager to get his hair cut (buzz cut!) I passed time strolling around a Savers Thrift Store.  I have put myself on restriction on purchasing items until I clear out the stuff cluttering my life.  I was doing great, passing up knick-knacks, bric-a-brac,tchotchkes,and the likes.   Until. I . Spied. This.

It appears to be depickting "Day of The Dead.  Day of the Dead, El Día de los Muertos or All Souls' Day is a holiday celebrated in Mexico focusing on prayer and remembrance of friends and family who have departed.The celebrations in Mexico can be traced as far back as the Aztec and Mayans.  I was captivated the artists rendition and use of colors on this plate.  I turned it over to check the price and saw the back side is painted as well.  Isn't this perfect for Halloween?  The Day of the Dead is celebrated on November 1st, just 3 short days away. 


Back of plate


I checked the price...Uh, $5.99, a bit past my flinching point, but where was I going to find another plate like this?  I had to get it.  I discovered that it's hand made with the signature Ketchum 88 on the back.  Nothing came up on Ketchum when I googled it, except Hal Ketchum.  I am sure he didn't make this plate...



I also spied this little apothecary jar!  Perfect to add to my collection, just needs a clean up.  Bliss.

As I headed over to the check stand I saw a chocolate bunny sitting on a shelf.


Closer inspection, not Chocolate, (maybe I should tell you I love, love, love Chocolate!) but resin painted to look like my favorite flavor in the world Chocolate!  

As the cashier rings up my order, I notice the prices aren't scanning right.  He tells me that BLUE tags are 50% off today and the bunny and apothecary jar are blue tags.  SCORE!  Then he asks me if I got the plate from Halloween shelf.  I replied that I did, so he gave me 50% off as well because all Halloween decor was on Sale.  Sweet! 


I would have happy danced my way out the door, except the Reluctant Teenager was coming out of the barber shop and would have "died" from the embarrassment!


Joyeux Halloween,


Audra

9 comments:

Fairy Bread said...

We dont celebrate Halloween in Australia but I can still appreciate that plate being great for the celebration.

And that jar! I must have that jar. I can see a row of those looking completely awesome on my bathroom window ledge.

Great finds! You've inspired me to get up early tomorrow and do the garage sale thing!

Rhonda in OK said...

very fun finds -
we sure can't have those teens dying of embarrassemnt, can we? but trust me, if teens could die of embarrassment, mine would not all be 20 somethings now.

Elizabeth said...

Audra,what great finds! You lucky girl. :) Love the Day of the Dead plate.So unique!

The Queen of Clearance. said...

sounds like great deals! I love unexpected discounts!

Aubrey said...

Great Deals!!! Very frugal indeed! Have a wonderful weekend!

Mimi said...

Wow, what a cool plate! I ♥ it....better yet, you got everything at half price...woo hoo!

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Fantastic finds! The plate is amazing. You know, I can't tell you the number of times I've been in a thrift shop and spy something I love, and then the price makes me think twice...until surprise...it's a special 50- or 70- percent off day! Now that's a wonderful experience. Stan

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

That plate really is terrific, and I like the back maybe even better than the front!

Annette said...

Great finds! Don't you just love surprises like that at the register? That plate my also turn out to be an even better find. Check out this link about an artist named Susie Ketchum: http://www.crockerartmuseum.org/exhibitions/exhib_pages/Skeletons.htm