Monday, September 21, 2009

Vintage Wire Laundry Basket and Curbside Shopping

Sorry I have been MIA...down with a migraine.  Three days of wishing I was anyone else, if you or someone you know suffers from migraine episodes you know what I mean.


When I last blogged I had the fortunate happenstance to discover it was community large pick up day in my neighborhood, meaning Curbside Shopping.   I love this venue really I do!  I drove around, not too many items out on Tuesday since it was the first day, just yard clippings, broken bikes, furniture missing legs etc.  I was on the look out for a headboard to make a darling bench like I've seen on other blogs.  Nada.


Then I spied the corner of this mish-mashed among some lumber and yard clippings five streets down from mine.


I pried this beauty out of the mess with the hem of my skirt because this is Arizona and it is DANG HOT in the afternoon.  This wrought iron piece was SCORCHING!  Glad no one saw me lift my skirt up to pick it up and put in the back of my car.  Right now it's on the wall of the garage until I paint the living room/dining room and hang it up.  

I love it!  Best of all it was FREE!


Next up I found these Ralph Lauren Stencils in a box on another street. 


I have been wanting to buy some to try out for the longest time, just couldn't part with the $25.00.  TA DA!  Here are three of them in excellent shape, previously used but that's A-OK with me.  $75.00 worth of stencils for FREE!  FRUGAL SCORE.  (no I didn't have to lift my skirt for these!)

Saturday I was feeling a bit better from the migraine, so I ventured out to get more fluids and more migraine pills from the pharmacy.  I stopped at two yard sales on my three mile trek to the drug store.


I found this .....




OMG!  I almost peed my pants...  I have DESIRED one of these vintage wire laundry baskets for a a long, long, LONG time.  The lady had three houses worth of antiques and amazing things.  She and her husband had sold two homes and were having an estate sale for some of the less costly items.  I spied this baby and almost tripped getting to it (Remember, I am vertically challenged and should never run, skip or hop!).  She had a price on it that was way, way out of my range. 
I looked around a few minutes before going back to it to lovingly say good bye.    She came over and we talked.  She lowered it ten dollars, making it $20.00.  Still I had to think a milli-second before I handed over my twenty dollars mad money.

I am...in...love.  sigh.


Second yard sale I stopped at, had clothes, which is fine with me, since my company is revoking the telecommute days and I will have to be in the office five days a week.  I need a few more tops to stretch my wardrobe and these fit the ticket nicely for $1.00 each.





This one will require a few alterations to take it in on the sides.


Otherwise it will be perfect for the remaining summer months....and fall...and winter with a black long sleeve tee underneath.


Joining the party with Rhoda at Southern Hospitality.  Head on over y'all and see what others found. 


Ta Ta For Now!

Audra

22 comments:

Cara said...

Audra,
Thanks so much for stopping by! I LOVE the wrought iron piece, and FREE??!!! Wahoo!! I am looking for something like that to go above my staircase on the wall....

Blessings,
Cara

Kammy said...

Super buys and love the free stuff ! That's a terrific idea to shop the curb !
Kammy

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Everyone has this amazing free karma thing going and I want a piece of that! i KEEP reading I got this free...I got that free...

All I can think is ...where are these free things you speak of?

lol

Vanessa said...

Love the laundry basket! I saw one of those at an antique store for over $100, so you got a great deal! Thanks for visiting!!

Lemondrop Marie said...

I love that laundry basket, fabulous! Lucky girl.

Diann @ The thrifty groove said...

I love all your free "finds"! That iron fence, wire laundry basket and the stencils, holy cow! AWESOME!!

Grits414 said...

Great finds! Free is good!!!

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Boy did you score! Way to go!
Just love your freebies, sure wish our town did that!! I'm so glad she came down ofr you on the laundry basket. Great tops too :~)
BTW, thanks for stopping by and visiting!
*hugs*deb

Kelli said...

Free is fabulous!! I love all your finds!! The wire laundry basket is my favorite. Way to go!!

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) said...

Wow, Audra, the wrought iron piece and the stencils are great finds... free, too. And, I love that antique laundry basket.

Jane

Jo said...

Thanks for visiting my posts! My 1st home was in Glendale - 75th & Camelback in the 70's and everyone thought I lived in the sticks! Thanks for commenting! Love the laundry baskets...........Jo

Alicia said...

I love the wrought iron wall hanging thingy. I've been looking for one like it to hang over my kitchen stove. Too bad we don't have community large pickup day! I'm from Arizona as well, was born in Casa Grande. I know the weather very well...lol.

Gwen said...

I hope that you are feeling better:) I get them once in a while too and I just want to die.

Great curbside shopping and those stencils will come in very handy, I'm sure.

Stay cool and pain free!

Aubrey said...

wow I can't believe all the hot goodies you found! So happy for you!!!

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

Oh I wish we had curbside shopping in my town!! What fun that would be! My you found some great finds- love the rod iron piece- so funny about you using your skirt!

blessings
mary

soanywaytoday said...

love the wrought iron piece... it will be beautiful on your wall.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Audra, Tu parles français? J'espère! Anyway, fabulous FREE finds - I can't believe them! Your other items are great deals as well. Love wire thing! Linda

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Wow, I wish we had something like that in our area! That wrought-iron piece is amazing - I'm very jealous. :) By the way, I had never heard the name Audra before this summer, when I watched a show called "Here Come the Newlyweds" - I really, really like the name! So pretty and unique.

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I wish people around here would throw away stuff like you got!

Everything is fabulous, but I'm really coveting those stencils!!

Manuela

Beth said...

Hello! Visiting from A Home With A Smile....I like your blog. Now following :)

The McCrays said...

Audra, Great finds! Oh how I miss curbside pickup days in AZ! We don't have them out here in Tn unfortunately! Hey I received my shopping bag and I love love love it to pieces! It's amazing! Have already taking it for a trip to the grocery store and received a lot of compliments! Thank you soo much!! I have yet to post about my wonderful prize!

Rita @ Goodwill Haunting said...

Well, you really did find some great stuff! I love the FREE stuff ... we don't have "everything goes" trash days in my area ... but a couple cities do and I do remember trolling on "everything goes" days ... what fun! Great finds!