Sunday, August 9, 2009

National Garage Sale Day 8/8/09

Thank you to the Queen of Fifty Cents for reminding me that Saturday was National Garage Sale Day.

Yesterday was a rare mornings where the sun was shinning, a cool breeze flirted in the air and it felt like an early fall morning. Sensibly Frugal and I remarked if you closed your eyes one could believe it was an October morning or that we were in San Diego enjoying the sea breeze. Alas, neither was true, it is August in Arizona where it gets so hot the devil won't come to visit.
Joking aside, after picking up my co-op basket I headed out to yard sale....

DISAPPOINTMENT! Signs going nowhere, people with "gold plated heirloom" prices on junk and many more that I didn't bother getting out of the car for. I saw a sign.. "YARD SALE EXTRAVAGANZA", headed off to find this yard sale mecca. No EXTRAVAGANZA, full of overpriced stuff, strewn all over tables, driveway and in boxes. 8:00 in the morning the sellers were still trying to round up friends to bring stuff over to sell. In our area, prime time to shop yard sales is 6:00 am to 10:00 am. After that the sun is likely to give you heat stroke.

As I headed for home I stumbled upon a sale in a high-end neighborhood (love it when this area has yard sales!). Six girlfriends getting together to sell... now this was more like an EXTRAVAGANZA! Wish I had my camera with me, in a garage, fans blowing, wonderfully put together, all items priced and prices in the fair to moderate price ranges. Here are my finds.
In a basket marked Glasses $5.00 six of these lovely black stemless glasses. Marked $1.99 each on bottom. Perfect for my black/red dish set, maybe I will do a Table scape Thursday!
And these lovelies! Marked Marshall's $3.99 each. $36.00 worth of glassware for $5.00 and an amazing basket as well! I did the happy dance in my head ladies!

And this....Toile teapot. I am in love! I know a few other ladies who would like this as well. $2.00! Angie and Manuela both have done amazing things with toile.
These darling little chicks. I don't have much in the way of spring/Easter decor, I picked up these little guys for a dollar, a nice start, don't you think?

I also purchased under the bed storage for the Frugal College Diva who will be moving back into the dorm in a couple of weeks. No picture, but two stack able drawers for $3.00 instead of the $20.00 we priced them at. FRUGAL SCORE!

Head over and visit Rhoda@Southern Hospitality to see what others have found....

Best Wishes.

Audra

8 comments:

~~Carol~~ said...

Looks like you stumbled on a winner! I love those chicks so much...perfect for Easter or anytime! Great finds!

Jennifer said...

Very nice finds! Love the tea pot ... its so pretty. The little chicks are too cute! I love to decorate with birdies!

Cheap&Sweet said...

Those are some cute chicks! lol

jskell911 said...

That teapot is just stunning!

Angie said...

You know I totally love that toile teapot! Cute little chicks too!

Audra said...

I knew you would Angie. Will keep the peepers peeled for another one just for you!

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

LOL! Yes, Angie and I love our toile! Darling, darling teapot - lucky girl! Those chicks are cute too!

Manuela

Kammy said...

Hi AUdra,
I sometimes get disappointed at garage sales too...that's why I thrift shop mostly.....
Good finds what you scored !
Kammy