Monday, August 31, 2009

A hunting we will go...

I am joining with Rhoda at Southern Hospitality and the others to show off our yard sale finds this week.

Saturday morning peaked it's rosy pink, peachy orange and tangerine sunrise for me to admire, it also was hotter than you-know-where! I was out of the house by 6:00 am (it just gets hotter here people as the sun rises y'know) and off to seek out a few yard sales on my way to pick up my co-op basket. There were yard sales EVERYWHERE this weekend.

First yard sale I purchased a few items that will be headed to my family as Christmas gifts. (Yes, I do give preowned gifts to my family, Girl on a budget...more to come about that) Let me say that I walked away with brand new things for less than 2% of the regular prices.

This included a designer dress, purse and shoes. 2 books by a well know Arizona authoress.... some Pampered Chef cookware for collector of their stoneware and a silver teapot for a tea lover such as myself. Why pay retail when others have and then cast it away without using it? I love the frugal hunt!


Next up I spied this old drawer with tiny compartments. Reminiscent of a lithographer, typographers cabinet drawer. It was $2.00, perfect for Fly Guy to display his collection of hand tied flies! (say that three times fast!) Metal pull on the drawer has HAMILTON MANUFACTURING CORP.

Next up is Chanticleer, a copper rooster. A bit tarnished and bedraggled, needs a nice place to rest. Not sure if I am going to keep him tarnished, clean him up, paint him or use an oxidizing agent on him. Any suggestions? Cute red and white checked pillow. I have been inspired to mix patterns and florals, animal prints and stripes by so many other blogs that I had to snatch this cutie up for .25.I hit the jackpot on cd's today. I love music! I have an eclectic taste that varies from Abba to ZZ Top. I use to pay retail for cd's when they caught my fancy, now I am reformed. With cd's costing on average $12.00 to $16.00 I keep a look out at yard sales to add to my collection.
Today, I got these....
and these....
Sixteen cd's (plus a bonus Halloween sounds cd thrown in) all for $5.00. I know! I could hardly believe it myself! Ella Fitzgerald and Jazz cd have three cd's each! Most of these are compilation cd's with various artist on them which is fine by me. I can download the songs I love on my i pod off a a cd that cost little or next to nothing and save the .99 download fee that i tunes charges.

Keeping it real here with cheap tunes for a happy frugal missus.

With Halloween lurking around the corner I scored a few items to help decorate. This darling little spider dish and a plastic cauldron, both were .25 ! I had a hard time photographing it, kept coming out like a black ball.


Ta-Ta For Now....

Audra

11 comments:

Let it Shine said...

Wow! You did great!! I am all about uesd gifting - who cares as long as it is something that person will like.
I love the drawer with the compartments. Would be great as an advent calendar for Christmas too!!

Audra said...

That is a great idea! I may have "fight" the Fly Guy for it though...

Carrie said...

Cute! I never tell when something I give isn't brand new. Who's gonna know unless I tell 'em?!

The drawer with the compartments is amazing!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Katie Kubler said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. Be sure to follow so you can see some of my upcoming transformations! happy blogging!

Shabby Cottage Collectibles said...

Amazing finds especially that drawer. Warm wishes for a wonderful week, Esther

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) said...

Great finds! I just love the rooster! You could either paint him black or oxidize him with some liver of sulphur.

Jane

blondiensc said...

Girl you rocked the yard sales...that cabinet is amazing..I love all the drawers and such, great find for 2.00! wow...thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog today...I appreciate it! xo

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

That spider dish is so cute! You did so good! That drawer with the litte compartments sounds like it will be perfect for the hand tied flies (very hard to say 3xs...I tried)LOL! As to the rooster, I guess it depends where you're going to be putting it and what colors are in that room. But black is always nice as is white and red.

Manuela

Audra said...

The kitchen is deep red. Very, DEEP RED. I am thinking Heirloom White or Black.

Wendy said...

Love the tray! I so want to find one of those!

Jane @ Decormamma said...

Wow...you scored some great deals! Love that rooster, he is beautiful! Way to go!