Monday, August 3, 2009

Frugal Fabric Softener

I love the smell of fresh dried laundry, especially with fabric softener. In my quest to keep the costs down at La Maison Frugal, I have begun to make my own liquid laundry detergent and Fabric Softener. I will show you my laundry soap on another post, however, the cost is close to .01 cent. That's right one penny a load.

I decided to find a frugal "cheaper" fabric softener without compromising softness and smell. I have used white vinegar in the past with great success, but it really doesn't add that bit of softness to the towels and doesn't cut down on static cling.

I found a recipe at Recipezaar that I used after much research. This works AMAZING! And the cost???? $1.50 for 100 fluid ounces or two snuggle containers. Cheap, Cheap CHEAP! I purchase 128 fluid ounces of vinegar for around $2.00 and hair conditioner at the dollar store or on sale. That's right Conditioner...for hair. Simply Frugal!



The recipe :
Six (6) Cups of tap water.
Three (3) Cups of White Vinegar
Two (2) Cups of Conditioner (aprox. one bottle of conditioner)
Mix this in a 1 gallon container and stir until mixed. Pour into bottles or container you do not need to shake the bottles to mix, it causes foam. Use the same amount you normally use in rinse cycle or spritz on wash cloth and throw in dryer.



My dear friend Fantastically Frugal uses a trick she picked up from the Duggar Family web site. She dilutes her fabric softener and pours into a Tupperware/Rubbermaid container with a lid. She cuts a small sponge (dish washing type) in half and puts them in the fabric softener. When she puts her laundry in the dryer, she reaches in, pulls a sponge out and rings it out so it's just barely wet. She swears by this!

What do you use or have you tried to help cut down the cost of laundry?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I L-O-V-E the homemade laundry soap and am going to have to make more as the "sample" bottle you sent me home with is now almost gone. I was shocked and amazed at how well it took out most of the stains my family could come up with. It is also gentle on sensitive skin. I cannot wait to try the new recipes.

thriftylittleblog said...

How great! These are the types of things I haven't tried doing yet... $.01- perfect price!