Saturday, July 25, 2009

Eat your veggies...and fruits


I live for Saturdays, I L to the O to the V to the E... Saturdays!
It's MY Day, the day I wait with anticipation as the week crawls by, until Saturday is here again.

Saturday is the day I pick up my produce basket from Bountiful Baskets Co-op! Not a farmers market or CSA, the co-op was started by Tanya Jolly and Sally Stevens who work with produce distributors to purchase what's in season and what they have on hand. The co-op is a grassroots, all-volunteer, non-profit organization , whose goal is to bring fresh produce to families while saving money. Each week I go online to order my basket, pay my $16.50 and on Saturday I pick up $50.00 worth of produce. FRUGAL SCORE!

No matter what happens friday night, I am up at first light to head to my pick up site to see what goodies we are blessed with this week. A rainbow of color greets me in the form of nutritious, vitamin packed goodness in each basket. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to provide my family with wonderful meals made with the contents of the baskets. The selection of vegetables have inspired me to add ethnic cuisine to our menu. I make a peanut chicken that is (Brag Alert)even better than my favorite restaurants offering.
This is why I love Saturdays...oh and Yard Sales make the day even better! If you are in Arizona or Utah, please visit Bountiful Baskets.

www.bountifulbaskets.org

3 comments:

Manuela@Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Really fugal score! That's fantastic! I may join a CSA for next year. I hear it really does broaded your cooking skills since you may get veggies you're not familiar with (and that would be a good thing)!

Manuela

Midcentury Marilyn said...

Looks like you are off to a good start on your blog! Can't wait to see what's next. Thanks for stopping by and welcoming me.

Frugal Fine Living said...

Wow, that is fabulous! I wish we had something like that in my area.

I love your blog! I think we have quite a bit in common. Thanks for adding my button. If you get a button, let me know, so I can yours to my blog.

Jane